Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 media centre problem!

Hi
    I have a PAL PS3, and I have been trying all evening to get it to share media with my laptop, which is running windows xp.

I have not been able to get the laptop to detect the ps3 and I am using wmp v 11, and have tried a number of things to get it to work such as removing my antivirus and turning off the firewall, also rolled wmp back to version 9....all to no avail.

Its very frustrating as I used to own a ps3 ages ago and had it sharing media with the laptop without any problem, and i cant think what could be wrong with it.

The only difference now would be that my internet service provider is now o2 whereas before it was virgin.

Does anyone have any idea how I could solve this problem?

thanks for any help in advance

I'd personally recommend PS3 Media Server. I've had no problems with it at all since I started using it (Although I'm not a heavy user for that side of things).

Comment

You could try changing the channel on your router, maybe see if that might work. You should be able to adjust the number in the routers admin section.

Comment

how do I change the number on my router...its an o2 wireless one?

Comment

You need UPNP enabled I think.

Comment

probably a stupid question, but how do I enable upnp

Comment

it's usually an option in your router setup.
              What one do you have?

Comment

not sure, just a standard wireless modem. I have been looking at the internet connection and found an option for internet connection settings, in services section of the advanced settings - I've found options for UPnp (TCP) and also UPnp (UDP)
                Ive ticked the first option UPnp (TCP) and thus far still have had no success detecting the ps3, is the other option - UPnp (UDP) the one which I need to choose?

Comment

I found this. Dunno if it'll be anyhelp though...?

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                    You could try changing the channel on your router, maybe see if that might work. You should be able to adjust the number in the routers admin section.
                    I'm sorry to be so blunt, but this is a ridiculously unhelpful suggestion.

If the two machines are connected to the same network, and both able to connect to the internet just fine (and baad bwoy hasn't given any indication that the situation is otherwise), why would changing the channel make any difference?

I don't mean to be rude, but your well-intentioned suggestion has only served to waste baad bwoy's time, and possibly to frustrate him further.

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
                    not sure, just a standard wireless modem. I have been looking at the internet connection and found an option for internet connection settings, in services section of the advanced settings - I've found options for UPnp (TCP) and also UPnp (UDP)
                    Ive ticked the first option UPnp (TCP) and thus far still have had no success detecting the ps3, is the other option - UPnp (UDP) the one which I need to choose?
                    Fiddling with these might help, but I'm not convinced.

UPnp does a bunch of different stuff. It should indeed allow computers, Playstations & other devices to advertise themselves to each other, but that should all happen on the LAN automagically. UPnp also allows the router to advertise itself on the LAN and then applications you're running can autoconfigure port-forwarding on the router (for video chat & for hosting online games), but I don't think that should affect stuff that's only happening internally. I think the options you describe only effect stuff that's going through the router between the internet & your internal machines.

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
                    I have a PAL PS3, and I have been trying all evening to get it to share media with my laptop, which is running windows xp.

I have not been able to get the laptop to detect the ps3 and I am using wmp v 11, and have tried a number of things to get it to work such as removing my antivirus and turning off the firewall, also rolled wmp back to version 9....all to no avail.

Its very frustrating as I used to own a ps3 ages ago and had it sharing media with the laptop without any problem, and i cant think what could be wrong with it.
                    Hi there,

Are you trying to get the PS3 to play media that's stored on your laptop? I'd have thought you wanted to get the PS3 to detect the laptop (which in this case is acting as the "server") and not the other way around.

I wouldn't expect to be able to use the laptop to play media stored on the PS3 - but then I've never tried. Maybe I'm completely wrong about that.

To prove that the laptop & the PS3 can both see each other it's worth checking the PS3's network settings and taking a note of its IP address - this will surely be something like 192.168.0.5.

On the laptop, open a DOS window (or "command prompt") via Start > Run > `cmd` (without the quotes). Alternatively you can find it in All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. In the black window that opens up type `ipconfig` (without the quotes) and you should see that the first two or three parts of the number (the laptop's IP address) match up with that of the PS3 - something like 192.168.0.4. Then type `ping 192.168.0.5` (where the number matches the IP of the PS3). This tells your computer to send a simple "hello" to the other machine with that IP address - you should see some replies, because the other machine is obliged to reply.; if the two are unable to communicate for network reasons then you'll see "reply timeout" errors.

Whichever way around you're trying to share the media, it's worth trying this, as it proves the computers can see each other on the network on the basic TCP/IP level.

Note that Sony's firmware updates for the PS3 change its behaviour in unpredictable ways - I've used an open-source media server with my PS3, and the developers really bitch about Sony. Every other device they work with is just fine, but Sony just mess things up all the time, without apparent reason or warning. AFAICT Sony only care that the PS3's media streaming functions work with the media server software they ship pre-installed on their Viao laptops (and desktops, now) and they don't care about anyone else.

So make sure you've got the latest version of the software on your laptop - it may contain fixes for Sony's breakage.

Hope this helps a little,

Stroller.

Comment

Originally posted by Strolls View Post
                      I'm sorry to be so blunt, but this is a ridiculously unhelpful suggestion.

If the two machines are connected to the same network, and both able to connect to the internet just fine (and baad bwoy hasn't given any indication that the situation is otherwise), why would changing the channel make any difference?

I don't mean to be rude, but your well-intentioned suggestion has only served to waste baad bwoy's time, and possibly to frustrate him further.
                      I'm so sorry, I shall ban myself from the internetz as punishment oh great one! Holy f*ck, I bet you've never made a single mistake in all your days.
                      Last edited by funkydan; 29-07-2009, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                        I'm so sorry, I shall ban myself from the internetz as punishment oh great one! Holy f*ck, I bet you've never made a single mistake in all your days.
                        Let's get him!
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I assume you want your PS3 to be able to use media stored on your PC? If you're trying to do the inverse it'll never work. The PS3 is a DLNA compliant client, not a server.

Comment

Im trying to share media stored on my laptop and play it on my LCD telly via the ps3.

I appreciate the help so far, but feeling a little confused about a way forward, as Im not particularly technically minded.

I have the ps3 and the laptop both operating off the same wireless modem without any problem, sharing the same connection.

And I have previously been able to share media on my old ps3 which I had some time ago. The only real difference now is that I have a different ISP. I was with virgin previously when I was able to share media, now Im with o2 and am having problems.

Comment

You do have media sharing enabled in the PS3 network settings right?
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X