n64 and lcd's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

n64 and lcd's

Have set up my N64 with my Samsung LCD and its not great to be fair.

Out of curiousity I tried with the Sony 20" LCD in the bedroom. Its better- anyone know why?

I'm using a nintendo s-video cable by the way.

Different TVs deal with different inputs differently. It's as simple as that.

On some sets, perhaps the component might look better than hdmi etc.

Comment

TBH an N64 will look **** on anything but an old CRT. The resolution is just too low for lcd or plasma tvs. Perhaps it looks better on your smaller lcd because the flawed resolution isnt so exagerated on a smaller screen. I suspect running your n64 with RGB would'nt help much either.

A crt is really the only way to go with original n64 hardware. If you must have lcd then I suspect emulation is the only way to get a decent picture.

Comment

Even through RGB, some N64 games dont look great - and thats on a crt tv, due to the n64s wonderful high res output (joke . If you want a quality n64 image i really wouldnt use s-video and certainly woundnt display on an LCD.

Get yourself an rgb modded n64 and use a decent crt (sony trinitrons are great)

alternatively an xbox with an n64 emu will output in 480p/720p which will look nice - only thing is not all the roms work perfectly (maybe i need an update?). I'm sure a PC n64 emu works better.
        Last edited by dvdx2; 31-07-2009, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
          TBH an N64 will look **** on anything.
          Amended.

If you need to run an N64 on a LCD TV best bet is an RGB modded N64 and some form of upscaler. Still wouldn't go expecting much though.

Virtual Console is probably the way to go IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            Amended.

If you need to run an N64 on a LCD TV best bet is an RGB modded N64 and some form of upscaler. Still wouldn't go expecting much though.
            If you?re talking about non HDMI connections, I think as long as you?ve got a good upscaler and a Scart connection that is as good as can be, then it can look very good. Not Blade Runner through Blu Ray sharp but good none the less.

I?ve got a modded US N64, with RGB Scart and it looks good.

The only other non HDMI input I?ve used with my HD LCD Screen is a PAL PS2 through RGB Scart and with some games like Gran Turismo 4 it looked awful, with the Rev Counter and recommended gear selector being unreadable as it just appeared as lines. However with MGS3 and Silent Hill 2 it looked fantastic.

As others have mentioned, it?s down to what you?re hooking up and the game you?re putting onto play. If it?s a Master System going through an RF lead, playing something relying on lines or blocks then it?ll look very poor. If it?s a N64 or PS2 through RGB Scart and playing a game where it has smoothed edges like Ico, Perfect Dark or Mario 64 then it?ll look good.

Comment

Working...
            X