Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a cheapish audio speaker setup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a cheapish audio speaker setup!

To set the scene;

Have been using a Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 5.1 kit for many years until it seems to have packed up just recently. They go to my Mac mini + PC (and potentially soon a laptop) via a KVM switch, and whilst they are used for movies occasionally, the primary function is for music. For most of their lifespan I've only really ever had the two front speakers and the sub hooked up.

Want something fairly straightforward (would happily settle for a 2.1 setup as suggested above), but packing a bit of oomph and not too ugly that I will want to hide it away. Inputs-wise, just a standard headphone jack would be nice for convenience purposes, and there's no need for any fancy remotes or anything seeing as the Mac does all of that from front row if I fancy being idle and lying in bed.

I haven't a clue where's best to even browse as I've not had to do it for so long, so any recommendations as to shops is just as welcome as specific products - I'm looking to spend under ?100 ideally, but feel free to tell me if my head is in the clouds. Similarly if anyone has any specific good deals they'd recommend around that price range, I still have both my kidneys.

Cheers!

Ok, so far I've found these that I like;

They look nice and they certainly seem to meet the actual output needs, but the price is a little steep - can't seem to find them many other places either

These look tidy also, and there seem to be a few places about that take about £20 off the RRP. Bit concerned as to what sort of output they give but I've always been of the impression Altec were one of the better brands?

Welcoming any thoughts, even if only so I don't end up triple-posting

Comment

Have a look at this thread over at AV forums. It should help a bit, Id imaigne you can use the speakers mentioned with a pc/ mac etc

Click

Comment

Might be a bit out of your price range, but look at the Logitech 5.1 systems. I think the only one that it's currently making is the Z-5500, but I had a 5400 for a few years until I recently upgraded and it was excellent, both in terms of performance and value for money.

Comment

^I use a Z-5500 and am very happy with it, no inclination to upgrade. That said, it is more expensive now then when I bought it in 2005.

Comment

Or you could get a tangent amp and some wharfdale diamond 9s for £100 from richersounds (although add on the price of a headphone to phono lead + speaker cables). Those 2.1 systems are great if you want lots of bass though.

Comment

For £50, there's a new Creative 2.1 just out

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                ^I use a Z-5500 and am very happy with it, no inclination to upgrade. That said, it is more expensive now then when I bought it in 2005.
                I've been looking at amplifiers and speakers as an option, but I still look at all options, including cheaper ones like the Z5500. How much were they when you bought them? They seem to be ?210 if not more at many stockists, which I certainly did think was rather expensive as they have been out for a while.

Comment

They were £189 when I bought them they've continued to be Logitech's top tier for good reason, they're awesome. That said, ask yourself if you really need a 5.1, or if you would be better off with a really good 2.1 set.

Comment

Turns out I couldn't wait much longer - I took the plunge Thursday night and bought something from *shock horror* a non-internet shop. I feel bad now as there's some top recommendations in here - I particularly like Charles' efforts to get me into some proper kit.

Logitech ones I was advised by a friend also, but wasn't looking to spend that much when I knew I wouldn't get the most of the 5.1... although that being said, I did buy a 5.1 kit - the upgraded version of those Altec Lansing ones I originally posted; http://www.alteclansing.co.uk/prodda...c%20FX5051 - but at an RRP-busting £99. Not keen on the idea of USB audio so have been running via a headphone jack, and aside from a bit of hiss when they're not in use (hmm...) I'm quite the fan.

Hope this is of use to some other people too - I know at least one friend I'm pointing in this direction

Comment

^I'm curious, does the USB audio just act as an SPDIF?

Comment

The situation with the Z-5500s is weird. Logitech discontinued the Z-5400, which was a little less powerful but had an extra optical inputs and, in my opinion, a nicer control box, and I think I paid ?150-160 for it a few years ago. But the Z-5500s are still going strong with no signs of new models to replace either of them.

It's probably that they've struck a good balance between performance and value and so it's remained a profitable product. No sense fixing what isn't broken.

Comment

I did expect Logitech to do a refresh of sorts though, this has been their top tier speaker set for 5 years now. It is as you say though, and they must be selling well for it to still be selling for ~£200. I think it was the direct replacement for the Z-680, which my friend has. I've just looked at the Z-5400 on Google and I agree about the control box - it does look much nicer.

I still think the Z-5500 is a good setup for someone wanting to cover all bases. I use a £7 optical switch box to connect my games consoles over optical, DVD player over coaxial, and the 5.1 analogue means I can play Blu-Rays with TrueHD/DTS-HD/LPCM on my PC and get lossless sound without the need for HDMI. I believe a number of Blu-Ray players have 5.1 analogue sound outputs, though not the PS3.

Comment

Working...
                          X