Problem with PS2 on LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with PS2 on LCD

I have a Samsung LE40 and when I recently plugged in my PS2 (with an RGB cable) I discovered that the colours mismatch, like some weird 3D effect. The regular composite connection looks fine, but blurry.

My PS2 was modded years ago in order to play imports -- could that be the cause?

The TV works fine otherwise. I even recall plugging in my Gamecube through RGB a while back without problems.

Does anyone have any similar experiences?

You have rgb selected in the PS2 menu?

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
      You have rgb selected in the PS2 menu?
      Yes, if you mean where it says "component video out"

Another weird thing I forgot to mention is that the system menus look just fine, it's only when playing a game the problem appears.

Comment

It is an RGB compatible socket yes?

You'd want component out ideally though.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
          It is an RGB compatible socket yes?

You'd want component out ideally though.
          Yeah there are two sockets, one composite and one RGB.

I heard somewhere that mod chips can ruin the component out, but maybe that's not correct.

Comment

^For many (not all) modchips, the fix they use to make RGB work for DVDs (without the green screen) happens to indirectly break Component. However, it works with my DMS4 Pro, and I'd imagine most later-gen modchips. That said, I use RGB Scart these days because I have a free Scart port and there is no real difference (480p aside).

This is all quite unrelated to your problem though.

Comment

If the dashboard/menu is OK via the same cable then it's got to be something else other than the cable and basic set up options.

Does it happen with particular or all PS2 games, PAL, NTSC, DVDs, PSone games? Are there any sound problems to accompany the visual ones?

I'm just wondering if this is some scaling or display issue with a SD source on this particular, HD(?) TV. Have you tried turning off all the digital picture enhancements (NR - noise reduction etc) and looked in the TV's manual for any recommendations as regards use with 480i/576i SD sources?

But first things first, I wouldn't go looking for more complicated explanations without testing this PS2/cable on another TV.

Comment

Are you sure it is a problem and not just that the PS2 display is ****e?

Comment

Working...
                X