Thinkpad recovery CD woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinkpad recovery CD woe

I have a Thinkpad X31 that I'm going to sell. It's been running Linux all its life but I'd better put it back into factory condition before sale. Hence I got out my recovery CD set, went into the BIOS and switched the Predesktop area back on (the hidden area of the hard drive where the recovery stuff goes - I'd disabled it to reclaim the space for use).

I booted from the "Rescue and Recovery" CD, which is the only one that boots - the other CDs labelled "Product Recovery 1-7" don't boot. I then click on Restore factory contents.

It tells me to proceed I need to reboot, so I say Yes. It says remove all media and power off and reboot, so I click OK and do so. I get an Authentication of system services failed message and press ESC to resume. I then sit there staring at a blank screen.

I think it's expecting to be able to restore from the predesktop area, but this is jumping the gun - I need to install the image back to the predesktop area first.

According to http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...GR-4k2pz7.html, "Authentication of system services failed" means "The Predesktop Area in the hard drive is corrupted. To use the Predesktop Area, restore it from a recovery CD." This is what I'm trying to do!

Does anyone have a clue about this?

Our PC imaging system at work deletes all partitions so we also have this issue but never use the IBM tools anyway. We just use another XP install disk even a Dell one is fine and use the product code from the sticker.
    IBM used to install at lot of bloat/crap anyway and the drivers will all be out of date from the original CDs as well.

Comment

Are the recovery CDs not supposed to recreate the stuff in the hidden partition? I don't care about driver age too much, I just want to be able to sell it as it came from the factory, and to reinstall it easily.

Comment

Dunno as I never use them but I doubt it. The OS install files are usually on the recovery partition and the CD is just to get access to them.

Comment

Get a regular Windows XP OEM installation CD from the usual sources.

Erase the hard-drive completely & install using the CD. Make sure you get the Home or Professional version to match the sticker on the underside of the laptop. Use the license key from the sticker.

I don't trust these dumb recovery CDs 1/100th as far as I can throw them.

Comment

I didn't see that coming. I let DBAN run and finish, and lo and behold, the R&R CD asked me for the Product Recovery CDs. Nice. So for anyone in a similar situation, trashing the partition table isn't good enough - if you want to reinstall your HPA image from the CDs, you need to wipe the whole disk with DBAN (or similar).

Comment

Working...
            X