Windows XP Startup Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows XP Startup Problem

Since the middle of last week, whenever my PC boots up the System 32 folder always opens up automatically. Whilst not a big problem, it's got me wondering what's causing it.

By going into 'System Configuration Utility' and the Startup tab, I've discovered that the problem ceases when I uncheck the following item.

Startup Item: /L:ENG
    Command: /L:ENG

Anyone got absolutely any idea what this is referring to and is it something that I can get rid of (and if so how)?

That's definintely no a standard item to be running in your Windows startup. Many virus programs place items here, but as this is not an executable, it's unlikely to be that. If you can use your computer ok without this item being enabled in the system configuration util, you are probably ok to get rid of it. You will need to edit your registry to permanently delete the entry. Open regedit. The path to it on XP is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

Just find the value name within this key and delete it.

Comment

Right, I ran the Registry Editor, went to the path you suggested but there was no sign of /L:ENG anywhere in that path

Comment

I know it doesn't look like an exe but it still has the stench of a virus. Have you tried updating and running your virus checker on your PC and/or one of the many worm detection and deletion tools you can download for free from the virus checker sites.

Before fiddling any further thats definetly the first thing I'd do. And I'd do it as soon as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by C'
          Right, I ran the Registry Editor, went to the path you suggested but there was no sign of /L:ENG anywhere in that path
          Try here instead then:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

If it's still not there, something fishy may be going on. Like Ish says, you might want to investigate with a virus checker. There is an online one here:

Don’t let your system get infected. Detect and remove viruses, worms, spyware, and other malicious threats for free. Start your free scan – it’s easy.

Comment

Right, I ran a full system scan with Norton Anti-Virus 2003 (with up to date Virus Definitions) and nothing showed up. Also Vaipon, there is no sign of anything in the registry at that second path either.

Comment

Quick search on Google brought this up:
              In my case, this problem appeared after playing around with the software for my Creative Audigy sound card. The HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersio n\Run section had an SB Audigy 2 Startup Menu key with the value of /L:ENG. Removing the key solved the explorer startup problem. HTH.

On Friday, August 1, 2003 at 4:02 pm, David wrote:
              >
              >Same Problem with me, system32 pops up and none of the above tips fixed it... I would
              >appreciate it if anyone has anyother ideas!!!
              >
              So it's probably down to your creative labs software. This guy solved it by deleting the key though. Have you been searching for a key called SB Audigy, or just /L:ENG? I think it's the Audigy one that will be causing this. If you've definitely checked in your registry at that location and still found nothing, then I'm not sure where it's picking it up from. Everything that appears in the "system configuration tool" is usually found in either your config/autoexec legacy files, your ini files (which are found in the system32 folder I think), or under the Run entry in the registry. At least you know it'd definitely not a virus anyway.

Comment

This is a common problem with Winblows :\

Right, check in the registry place that Vaipon suggested, and also:

HKLM\Software\microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run

And put ALL of the key's in quote marks, for example:

ctfmon.exe - "C:\Winnt\System32\ctfmon.exe"

instead of:

ctfmon.exe - C:\winnt\System32\ctfmon.exe

If all else fails, search for every occurance of System32 in the registry, and put all keys into quotation marks. It definately seems like a problem of this type.

Tom.

Comment

Cheers guys, problem sorted.

Vaipon, I was being a bit stupid. The Value did appear in the second Path you described. however, when I checked earlier it was still in selective startup (with \L:ENG disabled. Once I reverted to Normal Startup the Value appeared where you suggested.

So that's 2 problems I've had fixed today thanks to people here. Shame another issue (non-technical) has arisen.

Real Life sucks

Comment

I ran into this problem too a while ago, but found the answer on the Dell forums (with reference to Dell machines with factory installed Audigy cards). I'm not sure whether it's Dell-specific or whether it affects all machines with Audigy soundcards.
                    Apparently (according to the poster in the Dell forums) it appeared with a specific driver revision. Interestingly, a new Audigy family driver's just been released. I haven't installed it yet, so I can't tell you whether it fixes the problem or not, but it might be worth a peek.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowser
                      I ran into this problem too a while ago, but found the answer on the Dell forums (with reference to Dell machines with factory installed Audigy cards). I'm not sure whether it's Dell-specific or whether it affects all machines with Audigy soundcards.
                      Apparently (according to the poster in the Dell forums) it appeared with a specific driver revision. Interestingly, a new Audigy family driver's just been released. I haven't installed it yet, so I can't tell you whether it fixes the problem or not, but it might be worth a peek.
                      Apparently, it's a fault specific to the Dell OEM Audigy 2 sound cards.

Or something... I don't really have much of a clue.

Comment

Working...
                      X