Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading windows 7 RC 7100

Hi

Ive just build my first PC and its running very nice , i used windows 7 RC Ultimate 7100 Edition as my OS but i know this runs out march 2010 , my question is when the retail version is aval will i be able to just buy that and upgrade keeping my settings or will i have to do a clean install ? also if i buy the retail version will i be able to use it more than once on other computers ?

Thanks

Clean instal would be the best option, you can use it where ever you want as long as its only on one pc at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
      Clean instal would be the best option, you can use it where ever you want as long as its only on one pc at a time.
      ok , so if i build another PC for the house i couldnt use the same windows 7 on both machines at the sametime

Comment

^That's actually the deal with the vast majority of computer software, just seldom enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by trev1976 View Post
          ok , so if i build another PC for the house i couldnt use the same windows 7 on both machines at the sametime
          Dont think it works like that. One copy for for each machine.

Comment

I would assume it 'deactivates' the old machine when you activate a new one.

Comment

You've always been able to get away with it using XP.

Comment

^Thinking about it, I might have been refering to OEM editions (because that's all I've ever bought), so my mistake.

Comment

I've got a retail XP (student teacher) and I've never had a problem using it across multiple machines. While I don't do it on purpose, it'll occur when I'm reinstalling the OS, say, and running the previous install in a VM while doing so, without running into activation problems.

Couldn't they just periodically phone home to MS while you're connected to the internet?

Also what's Vista like for multiple retail installs? I'd imagine whatever they do with Vista will carry over to Windows 7 regardless of XP's system.

Comment

bugger, double post. SOMEBODY HELP! HEEEEELP!

Comment

Working...
                    X