Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAP site question

Hi,

Does anyone know how to make a simple WAP site so that i can download a 120KB sound file onto my phone?

Thanks,

Darryl

With my phone I can put a .mid file (if you use polyphonic) on my normal webspace then point the wap browser to it and it downloads it and tries to play it as a ringtone. I am not sure if a WAV file would work so I will give it a try.

You might find that there is not enough space on the phone to store 120K mine certainly wouldn't.

Comment

Indeed - don't bother building a WAP site, just type the full path to the .mid file in the browser and it should recognise the format and give you the option to save.

Comment

[code:1:cc66d840cc]<?xml version="1.0"?>
        <!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN" "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml">
        <wml>
        <card id="MainCard" title="Stu's Wap Page">
        <p align="center">
        Stu's stuff
        <a href="blah blah">Link</a>
        </p>
        </card>
        </wml>[/code:1:cc66d840cc]

Comment

Thanks, i will try those options

Comment

Hey this is a good idea !

I have a little WAP section working on my site serving photos, etc - but often wondered how to install things like ringtones myself.

So is this the normal way a phone would install something then, by pointing to a web resource and recognising the file type?

What is the normal size limit for a .mid ringtone? What apps can be used to create a .mid from a .wav?

Would it also work with java applications? It'd be cool to write some simple java apps and install them on your phone like this... anybody done such a thing?

Comment

.wav to .mid is monumentally difficult, unfortunately. .mid is a General Midi file, and contains the information about what notes on what instrument to play when - its not waveform data at all. I'd imagine that your only size limit is what your phone has space for, though.

Mind you, I've not quite worked out the point of having several minutes worth of ringtone when it cuts it off and redirects to voicemail after about 30 seconds...

I've always installed things on my phone by just typing the path to the relevant file, though, yes.

edit - thats difficult to automate, of course. A good musician could bash out a passable version of a popular tune on a midi keyboard hooked up to a sequencer in no time.

Comment

Well, thing is lads, there are about 6 trillion midi files on the net. It's by no means something recent, only applicable to polyphonic phones (which the companies would have you believe).

Just search the net for your fav tune - odds are it exists.

Comment

Anyone mind sending me a .mid file that is small and proven to work as a mobile ringtone? I'd like to quickly add it to my site to see if my phone can use such a file automatically...

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X