Replacement for Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement for Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

I've used Kaspersky for a number of years nowwithout any issues. Although not the most user friendly it seems to offer decent protection and doesn't noticeable affect any other applications that're running.

When I was using KIS2009 full scans took maybe an hour or two to complete on both my desktop and netbook. Since upgrading to 2010 full scans are now taking something stupid like 18-24 hours to complete. With my usage it literally needs to be running constantly for 7-10 days to complete and in the meantime virus definitions etc. are obviously changing.

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement that offers a similar level of protection but without the painfully slow scans?

Thanks

Don't bother with full scans. If the antivirus is decent enough it should stop naughty behaviour realtime.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Charles.

There is a quick scan, an objects scan and a vulnerability scan too.

I normally run these scans daily & also before doing a full scan. The vulnerability scans picks up (and usually fixes) potential issues. Since I've been using the software the full scan has never picked up a single thing.

I'm guessing I could probably just stick with the 3 quicker scans and run full scan once a month say?

Comment

Full scans are useful and necessary.

Sequence of events:

1. Your machine gets infected with a new virus that your virus scanner doesn't know about
        2. Virus database gets updated and now knows about new virus but...
        3. Virus is still on your PC
        4. Perform Full Scan
        5. Virus is detected!

See!

Comment

Good point for sure. But weekly would be plenty. A well known global IT corporation now no longer does full scans at all because the loss of productivity due to the scans was worse than any predicted virus armageddon...

Comment

also, if you are thinking of changing, do you need the full internet security? If you have a router with a firewall, you should be ok with just a normal antivirus package (perhaps kaspersky's own if you are happy with that). And if you need family protection, then opendns on your router dns settings would be a better option.

Comment

BTW, just did a full scan on my PC main drive with NOD32. 350GB of files. It took an hour. I wasn't doing anything else at the same time.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Judging by FSW's post full scans are a must.

Charles, I'm currently doing a weekly full scan. To get it to actually complete within a week means it running constantly whenever the pc is in use + left on for another 10 hours on top when it's not.
                Whilst Kaspersky does sell standalone AV software it's incorporated into their security suite so assume I'd still have the same issue?

I believe my router does have a built in firewall but wasn't too sure if this would suffice in place of a dedicated piece of software?

The NOD32 scan time you mention is roughly on a par with what I was getting with Kaspersky 2009. It's just since I've upgraded to 2010 that the scan time has gone through the roof....
                Last edited by tom-nook; 11-09-2009, 18:05.

Comment

Working...
                X