X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another should I buy this TV combination

Its a case of should i or not

The case for should:

Sony KD32DX150 (32" Widescreen), Free 5yr guarantee, Free Sony DAVSA30 DVD 5.1 System all for ?1200

The case for not:

?100 more each month, not having to justify it to others

My current TV is 10 Years old, although it works fine, i feel its time to move to widescreen, is this a good investment ?

1) Do you already have a DVD/5.1 solution?

2) How big is your current TV?

3) At ten years old, it won't have scart or component sockets for the optimum picture quality, I'm guessing?

Comment

Sorry, should have stated my current TV.

I have a 25" TV, DVD player no 5.1 infact no amp downstairs

My main use would be for TV/Sky/DVD as i have a gaming setup upstairs.

I have read the sound on the DVD isn't great, but is it better than none at the moment ?

Comment

Its not stunning, no, but its a hell of a lot better than no surround at all. I'm just surprised you've managed to hook a DVD player up to a 10 year old 25" TV at all; ones of that age didn't usually have much in the way of connections.

Comment

It was well spec'd at the time, Twin scart (only one rgb) Svhs socket 16:9 mode.

?600 was a fair wedge of my wages back in 93 (ish), but i cant complain, its lasted well. And will probably be donated to my parents (What do you do with a old TV ?).

Comment

Originally posted by mid
            I'm just surprised you've managed to hook a DVD player up to a 10 year old 25" TV at all
            My 10 year old 29" trinitron still has a better picture quality than most ****e churned out today.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Stu
              My 10 year old 29" trinitron still has a better picture quality than most ****e churned out today.
              Same here only smaller !

Hence why i haven't rushed out to buy one.

Comment

I saw that TV in a shop and it didn't look too good, but you know what Sony shop setups are like.

The DAVS-300 is okish, but it suffers from no Optical in so no way to plug in an xbox etc, and it can only output svideo afaik, no RGB.

I reckon a JVC or panasonic TV with a ?200 Sony HTK25 and ?100 Pioneer 464 DVD would be better value.

C

Comment

Replace the Pioneer 464 DVD player with a Toshiba SD330 (multiregion for under ?100 from Richer or Amazon) and I'd definitely agree with you.

But then, Ginger probably doesn't want a new DVD player at all. Frankly, it sounds to me like there's no rush for an upgrade of the telly if you're reasonably happy with it. Just get the HTK25 from Unbeatable.co.uk (its about ?199 including shipping now), and upgrade the TV when it packs in.

Comment

I dont actually need a new DVD player but the deal looked good, so the old one would have been ebayed. But thanks for the info, i think i need to look into this further.

Comment

Working...
                    X