• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MKV on xbox 360

Finally got it working

Windows 7 x64(from MSDN before you ask)
    Uninstalled all codecs
    installed Divx 7 R3 (needs to be this version)
    installed AC3Filter (to allow DTS encodes to play)
    installed Haali Media Splitter from klite-codec pack *x64 version.

Started Media Center on the x360..

Works like a dream now..

Nice...
    I tried every guide and could never get mkv's working so convert them to mp4's and split. I presume this guide is for streaming only?
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by joe90 View Post
      installed Divx 7 R3 (needs to be this version)
      Any info on this part? I don't really want to install this unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

wow seriously? i never thought it would be doable without doing something dodgey somewhere along the line. ill have to give this a go

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
          Any info on this part? I don't really want to install this unless absolutely necessary.
          I'm guessing so, as DivX 7 is currently has beta support for H.264 encoding and decoding.

Comment

Yep.. 100% needed..as it supports the container.

Comment

I've looked into this a bit. What Divx7 is doing is changing the mkv container to a wtv container which is what 7MC uses natively so is 100% supported on extenders.
              Tried it last night and it works great. Full resolution, ffwd and rwd without transcoding.
              Only downside is Mediabrowser has stopped working on the 360 but I can live without it if I sort my folders out.
              This arrived just in time so I can easily watch Dexter S4 and Californication S3 in HD on the spare TV

Comment

I have a question, does it have to be 64 bit, as i'm only running Windows 7 32 bit on my machine due to driver issues?

Comment

R3 added support for x64 which is what codecs Win7 Media centre uses even on an x86 32bit OS.

Comment

Looks like I gave up too easily, felt it was far too much like hard work to download this, encode that. Bought a dual core PC from Ebay for ?100 & never looked back!

Comment

I just use PS3 Media Server, just streams everything. I haven't tried but I do believe it may work on the 360. Fantastic little program.

Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 18-09-2009, 23:06.

Comment

It looks like PS3MS transcodes any media for 360 into wmv. Not efficient especially for HD but an option if you don't have Win7. Tversity is pretty good too as an alternative.

Comment

Well i got this working, but do seem to have a few issues, namely some files don't have the subtitles they should have, and some of the HD content seems to be compressed in some way, ie it doesn't look as good as it does on the PC, artifacts etc.

Comment

It might be that you mkv were encoded incorrectly and do not meet the profile specs or are encoded in L5.1 when 360 and PS3 only support upto L4.1.
                            You might be able to fix it if it is this with h264info.

Comment

may have to try this, ive loads of tv series and films on my HDD on my htpc (about 4 gigs worth all ripped as mkv, was going to get a popcorn hour for the bedroom, but may give this a go instead

Comment

Working...
                              X