Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd speedtest results

So,

I noticed my PSN download was going crazy fast earlier, its usually about 1MB/sec as I connect at 8.1Mbits with Sky, I login to the modem and to my shock I notice I am connected at 16.3mbit. I think our contract is 16mbit unlimited. In my excitement I check speedtest.net and its telling me I'm getting 3.5mbits

Doesn't make sense!

Any ideas before I .. sigh, have to phone them up?

Sorry, your downloads are going faster and your modem is connected at a higher speed...why would you want to phone them up?

Comment

Sky have been rolling out upgrades to their services. I'm on Sky Broadband Max (or whatever they've renamed it to) and am supposed to be going from 16mb to 20mb as part of their upgrades.

However, sice they started the work my speeds are regularly less than 8mb, and the line goes up and down like a hooers drawers.... Grrrr!

Comment

Originally posted by Psyduck View Post
        Sorry, your downloads are going faster and your modem is connected at a higher speed...why would you want to phone them up?
        Because my modem is saying I'm connecting at 16.3mbit and speed tests are reporting 3.5 ?

Comment

but you said you checked because your download was going faster, so who cares what number speedtest comes up with? I'd worry about actual download speeds rather than what a test says, if you're getting faster than 1 megabyte per sec download then you're connected at faster than 8 megabits.

Comment

True, I'll have to download something and see how it goes.

Comment

In on Be* who I can't rate highly enough.
              I connect at about 16mb/s and can download at about 1.2MB/s but speed test can vary wildly depending on load I guess.

Comment

My uber cheap unlimited connection
                Consistant results from speed test, more than happy so far

Comment

LOL. Don't you just love life in the sticks? I'm with Sky but as you can see I'm actually connected through easynet and getting sh!tty speeds. Remind me what I'm paying Sky for again?

Comment

Eat this:

Comment

*soar*

Comment

It don't make sense captain, I can't choose a waypoint any closer, but my PSN downloads are far more than 1MB / sec so I'll believe those instead of this.

Comment

To download at 1MB/sec your sync speed should be approx. 11mb
                          The speedtest results can vary wildly depending on time of day, ISP filtering or your connection type etc.

I am also out in the sticks too but feel lucky to have the connection I do.

There is a new beta site too - Pingtest.net

Comment

Im supposed to be on 50mb :/ wireless connection should bring it down a bit but not that much!!

Comment

Rob: There's some good info on www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/ about Virgin Media internet. Seems the 50mb service is having a few unreliability issues at the moment. The guys there may be able to help as it includes some VM employees.

Comment

Working...
                              X