Is my ps3 nackered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my ps3 nackered?

Came home today, switched the ps3 on and its starting up, led flashes green, then orange, then the console switches off and goes back to a red led.

Checked the power and its getting to the console fine, same for the hdmi cable its fine and inserted in ps3 correctly and tv. Ive checked the manual and it doesn't mention anything about this light sequence.

Help!

Hmmm, ages ago I had a model model which did this (although not every time) when one of the boards was fried inside. Sounds like it could be an overheat issues similar to what I had. But that is just bit of a shot in the dark to be honest. What model is it?
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Original 60gig launch model. Checked the hard drive to see if thats dislodged, and its not that, as the ps3 still doesn't load without it in, or with a hard drive from my mates that works fine.

Looks like the boards fried then thats my gaming over for the year

Comment

Watchdog covered this a few weeks ago and suprisingly 1 week later a friend of mine had the "yellow light of death too". Same symptoms you're describing and Sony wanted £120 to repair as it was also a 60gig launch model.

Suprisingly though they only offer 3 months warrenty on a replacement machine which is pretty poor IMO for £120!

Comment

Maybe get a broken one off eBay (one where the drive is faulty but the rest works fine), and just transfer the boards out. I wonder if that's possible (or cost effective)?

Comment

Think trying to repair it with a broken one is my only option tbh, cant afford ?120 for a repair (thats just extortion) and cant afford a new one, if i can get a cheap broken one im guna attempt it myself.

Comment

Why not just call Sony and ask for a free repair - you have nothing to lose by asking and the worst they can say is no

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                Why not just call Sony and ask for a free repair - you have nothing to lose by asking and the worst they can say is no
                How would I work that on the phone? Anyone attempted that with Sony trying to blag a free repair?

Comment

I could be wrong here, but i'm sure I remember reading someone in these forums saying that all goods sold in the EU over a certain value are actually covered for faults/defects for up to 6 years by European law, and that it makes no difference that the manufacturer only states 12 months. I think they said you may have to force the issue though? (Usually with the small claims court) I'll see if I can find a link or two.

<EDIT> Found these threads:-

One of which lead to this interesting link:-
                  That new TV looked great in the shop, and worked perfectly for the first year. Then it packed up. Phillip Inman explains what you can do when a defunct electrical item is no longer covered.

...Still cant find the thread im thinking of though....

<EDIT2> Found the thread I was thinking of! See Dazzyman's post in this thread:-

and this post:-

It seems you just have to be willing to work at it and push them to repair/replace it - good luck
                  Last edited by Link83; 17-10-2009, 17:18.

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys (especially link83) but I'm nackered on that front as well as I purchased the console from choices on intrest free finance, who are now obviously defunct. I'll have another read through all that to see if I can get Sony from some angle, then it's back to looking for motherboard prices.

Comment

Just for reference IIRC its not as simple as the old days of opening up a PS1/2, replacing the motherboard then putting it all back together.

I think its a bit like the 360 in the sense that theres encrypted codes on the drives which need to corrispond with the motherboard.

Comment

Just to add another log to the fire. When mine buggered I phoned about 10 different console repair shops and read about 6 guides on PS3 repair. If the main board is knackered I came to the conclusion, with the help of guides and repairmen that it isn't worth repairing as the cost isn't far off buying a new one.

Having repaired Xbox 1's, Psones, Saturns, DCs and PS2's I was a bit miffed at this but luckily managed to get in contact with the guy I bought it from and got my cash back. Mine wasn't the main board but was the blu-ray controller board, but as jeimuzu above me states there are certain board issues which prevented me, and indeed anyone else, from repairing this.
                        I beleive the main board can be replaced, but like I say, it's nearly as much as a new unit. At least it was when I researched it; I had, and now have, a 60gb U.S launch model.

As far as phoning Sony goes I don't know, but when my U.S Wii was buggered Nintendo U.K repaired it for me for about &#163;15-30 (I forget the exact cost now)! So could be worth a call to Sony see if they offer a similar service; as you have a U.K machine I imagine they would offer some service.
                        Last edited by Escape-To-88; 18-10-2009, 17:17.
                        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
                        X