Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VGA or HDMI switcher?

Hi all,
    Just hooking up my Acer mini-Pc to my projector and wondered if someone could give me a bit of advice.
    I have the PS3 running through HDMI and the 360 through VGA, so need either a VGA switch box or HDMI switch box - as the mini-PC has both VGA and HDMI out, so just wondered what would be the best switcher to go for? Or if it makes any difference?
    Cheers
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

A HDMI switch box is easier to find, cheaper, and there will be no loss in quality (even the non-powered ones). On the other hand, I have had bad experiences with VGA switch boxes, and they're harder to find. So go HDMI, imo.

HDMI and VGA from your PC should look basically identical because they're both sending an 8-bit RGB signal. The only difference will be analogue Vs. digital.

Be aware that HDMI inputs on TVs tend to be quite limited in available resolutions (in fact, mine only supports TV resolutions over HDMI). Bear that in mind if you intend to use stuff that might require a different resolution (games?).

Comment

Thanks bud, noted.

Comment

Seems a good price & check out those stars?

PS - Set desktop to 1280 X 720 (native resolution of your PJ) and you wont get any problems as its a TV resolution anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
          A HDMI switch box is easier to find, cheaper, and there will be no loss in quality (even the non-powered ones). On the other hand, I have had bad experiences with VGA switch boxes, and they're harder to find. So go HDMI, imo.

HDMI and VGA from your PC should look basically identical because they're both sending an 8-bit RGB signal. The only difference will be analogue Vs. digital.
          Emphasis on SHOULD look identical

A lot of the time, TV manufacturers regard the VGA input as "the PC input" and signals sent in this way are spared from all the stupid processing bollocks that goes on. On top of that, VGA is guaranteed to have full chroma resolution (4:4:4), so single-pixel colours won't be smudged.

By contrast, the HDMI inputs on TVs are often limited to 4:2:2 resolution, and there's all the processing guff which may or may not be forced on. A lot of people who hook their Dreamcasts up to their TVs via VGA remark on how good it looks (although VGA usually being unmolested is just one reason why the DC looks so good).

What projector do you have?

Comment

Cheers for the info lads

What projector do you have?
            HD700x mate - essentially the HD65 and the other couple of makes which are near identical just a different case and warranty I believe.

Comment

Working...
            X