Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the wrong polarity kill my Turbo Express?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the wrong polarity kill my Turbo Express?

Just bought a new multi-voltage adaptor which I'm hoping to use with my Turbo Express. It has tips whcih you can disconnect and reverse to change the polarity. Here's the great bit - the polarity diagram on the unit and the polarity diagram in the instructions are at odds with each other. So I've no idea which way to plug these tips in. Will I blow my TE if I get it wrong?

EDIT: oh and it's 300mA. Do I need to pay attention to this bit?
    Last edited by Jay; 29-10-2009, 12:08.

From my experience, no – it will not cause your machine any harm. However, please wait for further confirmation before doing anything!

When I received my PC Engine, I had to buy a new nib for my power adapter. Because the diagrams on the new nib and my adapter were conflicting, I didn't guess the polarity correctly and plugged it in the wrong way. My machine failed to light up. Then, I was lucky enough to have a builder/electrician (more builder) to hand who said "not much" would happen if you put in the wrong polarity. I switched it round and my PC Engine lit up and worked AOK. The PC Engine survived my earlier incorrect polarity choice and still works (touch wood) to this day.
    Last edited by egparadigm; 29-10-2009, 12:21.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I'm still a bit nervous about plugging it in though. Can anybody confirm? Also, having had a bit of a google, it seems I may need to be concerned about the 300mA thing. Guess I should have done some research beforehand. Can anybody confirm that bit too? If this one is unsuitable, can anybody recommend a PSU that would be suitable for a Turbo Express.

Comment

The 300ma is the output rating in milli-amps. If your device needs more it will probably blow the adaptor and potentially damage your Turbo Express.

Isn't it written on the bottom of the machine or in a manual what it requires?

EDIT: The official UK NEC Turbo Grafx adaptor supplies 780ma, does the Express require less?

Last edited by gunrock; 29-10-2009, 17:38.

Comment

My UK SNES has run on an adapter that provided less MA, although it may not have been far off the intended figure. The SNES is probably happy to run on a lower ampage provided that it doesn't have any other devices like a satellite thingy drawing more power.

NeoStuey, amongst other peeps on here has owned a GT, so you might ask him what ampage it requires. Otherwise it should be listed somewhere on the machine or in documentation.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Googled it and the TE seems to require 700mA so it looks like this adaptor is unsuitable. Now to try and find one that fits, is the correct voltage, ampage and polarity. Bleh.

EDIT: Hmmm this looks like it might do the job ...

Last edited by Jay; 29-10-2009, 18:08.

Comment

Why don't you buy an official one. £14.90. More expensive but guaranteed to be alright and adds a little value (IMO) if you ever sell the console.

Clicky

Comment

If you have a multimeter you can check the polarity on that. Also an LED across the +/- connectors will also let you know the polarity as it will fail to light up if connected the wrong way (I wouldn't leave it on too long as the LED will overheat!)

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgamingfart View Post
                  If you have a multimeter you can check the polarity on that. Also an LED across the +/- connectors will also let you know the polarity as it will fail to light up if connected the wrong way (I wouldn't leave it on too long as the LED will overheat!)
                  Thanks for the tip

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                  Why don't you buy an official one. ?14.90. More expensive but guaranteed to be alright and adds a little value (IMO) if you ever sell the console.

Clicky
                  I can't find an adaptor for a TE on there. He stocks PC Engine PSUs but the voltage is different for a Turbo Express. Unless I missed it?

Comment

Working...
                  X