Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of Anti Virus type software progs should I be using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of Anti Virus type software progs should I be using?

Ok I've been using AVG Free, Asquared free, & Spybot for the last few yrs with no problems but in the last month i've had some issues with them.

AVG Free doesnt seem to be working so good & I keep getting told to update & purchase the full AVG package.
    Asquared seems to be ok.
    Spy bot has found a load of stuff on my laptop lately that AVG didnt but is telling me I need to buy the full version.

Also my laptop failed to load up the main OS page yesterday & I couldnt even reboot & instead had to pull the plug on it, & today it took about 10 mins to load up. And when I attempt to upload new MS Internet Security progs it fails to upload them.
    All progs are running slow too.

So to all the experts out there what type of progs should I be using to keep my laptop safe, whats the best progs to use, & are they free?

malwarebytes is a good alternative to spybot

I use eset nod32 but you have to pay for it - seems like a small price to pay.

Comment

I use PC-cillin Internet Security (which is very good) but not as cheap as it used to be. Massive price hike last year....

Comment

There's no reason why Spybot should be telling you to buy the full version of anything, because it's free as standard.

For most reasonably-savvy internet user, there's not much point in paying for an anti-virus as the free ones should suffice. If they don't, then the user should seriously reassess their internet usage habits. AVG works, as do Comodo, Avast and Avira, one of those four should satisfy most users.

Comment

if you do online banking your bank usually gives you a year free i got a mcafee 09 for nowt alternatively its 6 quid on ebuyer

Comment

I've been pleasently surprised with McAfee. I get McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for free via my university - may as well use it. It's extremely light, no bloatware and runs transparently.

Comment

Windows 7 here and i use microsofts free anti virus, before i used AVG. Have to say microsofts is brilliant, runs in the background not a system hog ( like norton! lol ) and ive never had a problem.

Comment

I'm a nod32 user too, following Charlesr's reccomendation on here a few years ago, it's fantastic. I've never looked back

Comment

I haven't replaced it on Windows 7 yet, but when on Vista I'd been running Kaspersky and can't recommend it enough. Before that I used Trend, which was an incredible system hog in comparison.

Comment

Avast is good - and free.

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                      Avast is good - and free.
                      Another vote for Avast Home Edition. I've been using it for a few years now and it does the job for me (in conjunction with other free software).

Comment

Personally I would say stay away from AVG.

It will not protect you from browser exploits (firefox won't protect you from adobe and Java exploits). It may find the virus once it's on your PC but, if it's on your PC, it's been installed and will be a bitch to remove if it uses a rootkit.

Comment

Working...
                        X