• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Advice

Hi Guys,

got the opportunity to get one of these

for ?500.

I notice its not 1080p, is this a major disadvantage? ive currently got a Toshiba Regza 1080p 42" tv. Am i going to see major degredation?

Anyone got any first hand comments on this TV?

Thanks

Aaron

The actual resolution is lower than your existing TV yet the screen is larger. Seems a bit of a weird thing to do but I guess it depends what your source material is. If it's just games, well they're mostly 720p max so it shouldn't make any difference. Blu-Rays wouldn't look as good though, unless you currently sit so far away from your 42" set that you aren't getting the benefit of 1080p anyway?

Comment

I sit about 8 - 10 feet away from TV at the moment, its only going to be for Games and my Virgin HD box, dont do the whole Bluray thing, oh and watching videos from my PC.

Thats it.

The tv ive got at the moment, was my first proper HD tv, so ive never had the luxury of the 720/1080p Rants and differences. Hence after first hand ideas!

Thanks again

Comment

The screen size is too large for the resolution and your viewing distance.
        You are better off with your current screen.

CHART

Comment

Ok, well I doubt your eyes could resolve 1080 resolution on your 42" at that distance anyway so you won't be missing anything! About 10' would be a good viewing distance to resolve the resolution of this 50" 720p set actually so that seems like quite a good choice IMO. I'm certainly no expert though mate.

EDIT: Clearly Smouty and I have totally different opinions on this, although Smouty's chart actually agrees with what I said and reads that you'd need to be within about 6' of the TV to appreciate 1080p on a 42" set whereas for 720p material on a 50" tv a 10' viewing distance is the sweet spot.
          Last edited by Brad; 25-11-2009, 11:33.

Comment

It is only an opinion of coarse but I know I wouldn't like it
            Even if it was just the odd occasion you did want to watch a DVD, SD TV or use anything other than a 360 or PS3 I think you'd be disappointed especially coming from a slighly smaller full HD set.

Do you have a chance to test it? Only way really to satisfy your query.

Comment

Working...
            X