New netbook Dell mini 10v vs Samsung N130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New netbook Dell mini 10v vs Samsung N130

Looking at either of these 2 machines for my daughter for Xmas. Just mainly going to be used for surfing, homework etc, not seen either in the flesh just going to order one online today and would like to know if anyone has any impressions on either please.

Very hard to differentiate all these atom netbooks. I wouldn't get the base Linux Dell Mini though, linux + tiny hdd will make it a pain for school work.

Other than that, I'd say the only significant differences will be looks.

Comment

One of the (many) things I love about my NC10 is the battery life and it looks like that's been carried over to the N130.

It has a 6 cell battery whereas it looks like the Dell looks is only 3 cell. I'd imagine the N130 will probably last 5-6 hours between charges whereas the Dell will last 1/2 that.

Assuming the specs are otherwise more or less the same then I'd say go for the N130.

...and as mentioned above avoid the Linux version of the Dell. The extra cash is money well spent!

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm going for the N130 (White) from Amazon. Another thing that impressed me was the fact you can upgrade the Ram on the Sammy and not the dell. You also get 1 years free trial of MS Office which I'm sure she'll find usefull.

Comment

Another thing did you go for an external dvd drive for yours? Which one did you go for if so?

Comment

The ram upgrade on the NC10 was a cinch (unscrew a flap & slot it in) so hopefully the same on the N130. Not sure about the Dell's but some can be a real nightmare to upgrade involving removing the casing, motherboard, keyboard etc.!!

That's pretty good that they include MS Office for a year too

I've just tended to use a usb stick for installing or transferring apps etc. If you happen to own a 360 hd-dvd drive you can always use that....not exactly mobile but a nice cheap option.

Comment

Sold my 360 drive a long time ago, I have seen a slimline Sammy drive on Fleabay for ?29.99 + ?9.99 P+P which looks good. She probably won't use it much but it gives her more options I guess.

Comment

The right spec Asus Eee PC 1005HA isn't a bad choice either.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                  The right spec Asus Eee PC 1005HA isn't a bad choice either.

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product1005ha.html
                  Nice spot I hadn't considered that one, will see what I would be getting for my extra ?35. Really nice design.

Comment

I'd avoid Linux like the plague if it's for kid(s), more hassle than it's worth in the long run (in my experience), pay the extra for a decent sized hard-drive one and XP or W7.

Comment

Working...
                    X