Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Please Recommend Me Cheapish But Reliable PSU To Power A HD4890 1GIG GPU.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Anyone Please Recommend Me Cheapish But Reliable PSU To Power A HD4890 1GIG GPU.

Can anyone please recommend me a cheapish but excellent PSU to power a HD4890 1GIG Graphics card please.

G.

What's your current PSU and budget?

Comment

I have a EZ COOL 500watt PSU at the mo which has only 1 6pin connector so i bought another 6-pin-molex cable and fitted that where i had my fan on the HD4850 connected to,and i simply assumed cos its powering a HD4850 with a big mod cooler fan on it that it would simply be enough to Power the HD4890..My own fault for not doing my homework.

When i fitted the HD4890 the fan on the card was spinning ok and the little red lights on the back of the GPU board came on but then my monitor light was flickering on n off so it seems although the card fires up and the fan spins but theres not enough juice from the PSU to output the VGA so im realy hoping a new more recent PSU will do the trick as im desperate to get the HD4890 up n running...So you think its deffo down to my PSU not being powerfull enough?

Daz.

EDIT..Sorry budget is around £40-45 squid
      Last edited by glazza; 11-12-2009, 11:36.

Comment

Think Coolermaster do a decent range of cheapish PSUs

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          Think Coolermaster do a decent range of cheapish PSUs
          Thanks Smurfy...anything you could recommend matey?
          Last edited by glazza; 11-12-2009, 11:15.

Comment

Seems they've discontinued the 550w ones they used to do and the 600W is out of your price range.

There's this one which is very slightly above your budget:

Other than that, you'll be taking a chance with an unbranded one or skirting close to the edge with a 500W one (in theory, a good quality one should handle your system but the 4890 sucks a lot of power)

Comment

Need some help if you all can,bought a new £70 PSU today and fired it into the case and fired up the new gpu 4890 i bough couple days ago,but im still gettin the same thing i got on my old psu,lights come onthe card the fan on the card spins but on my monitor instead of the screen coming on it stays black and the red light on my monitor which is normaly solid red just flickers on and of but no vga is being displayed so is there a fault with the 4890 cos its doing the same thing when i try to power up the 4890 on my old 500w psu or is the fault elsewhere mu mobo maybe it cant take the 4890 this is my mobo here ..http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pro...uID=52&LanID=0

I am at a total loss right now and after selling my old 4850 im without a working pc right now so any help be very very apreciated.

G.

Comment

Take out the graphics card, plug your monitor into the embedded graphics. If it boots into windows, your graphics card is bust. If that's the case, first try putting the cards back in. Put it in firmly to that any release levers in the slot click into place and if you can see the copper contacts at all, it's just a tiny bit of the top. Make sure you've put the additional power into that card firmly (may require two power cables into it that card). Also, make sure the card isn't overclocked in the bios. Check the PCI-E voltages.

If it doesn't boot into windows in the embedded card, there's hardware failure elsewhere. Ensure the RAM is fully pressed in (same rules as the graphics card). Look up the lights on the back of your motherboard in the manual. They may actually be designed to tell you the nature of the error.

Comment

Could try updating the motherboard BIOS if you're running the original release, particularly as the changelog includes the following:

To increase the compatibility of PCIE device

Read the instructions carefully though, and make sure that the board you've linked to is indeed the exact same one that you have.

Comment

Thanks guys all sorted now..

Comment

So what fixed it?

Comment

Working...
                      X