solved - xp boot.ini options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solved - xp boot.ini options

Just reinstalled XP on a laptop for someone , and I have no idea why because the boot.ini file is plain as can be and only has a single entry for the single operating system installed.

But when I cleanly shut the machine down and then turn it on a bit later, it comes up with the 'windows xp advanced boot features menu' almost as if I've pressed F8 and it has all the usual options for safe mode, safe mode with networking, last working config and all that.

Now I don't want this and just want to turn the machine on and it boot straight into XP without beeping a bit and then presenting me with this menu, where I have to select 'normal boot' and then choose XP as the operating system.

Bizarre, anyone got a clue?

I am tempted to just break the MBR and repair it with the CD to see if it would just boot the single OS at that point.
    Last edited by kernow; 22-12-2009, 21:34.

I'd wipe the MBR personally, although it is a little odd that it's offering boot options aswell as the operating system selection. Use DBAN in future perhaps (quick erase option), that'll remove any bootloader nonsense for sure.

Comment

The only way I'd wipe the MBR without the rest of the partition now is:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=1

or something.

Then I'd try repair it with the XP CD.

Thing is I've done a bit of reading and I'm thinking the F8 key might be stuck down, because when I tried another XP CD where you read the EULA and it asks you to press F8, it simply wouldn't work, that combined with the thread I read earlier where someone realised their F8 key was stuck and therefore bringing it up every time, would make sense. However you'd think if it was stuck down it'd auto agree to the EULA also.

It used to do it on XP home before the install of Pro also. So maybe it is just the key stuck down. hmm.

Tried looking for a crap windows utility to highlight what keys are held down but I'm not sure they'd show function keys anyway.

Comment

Ridiculous.

I turn the machine on while holding down F8 = boots up without menu straight into XP splash screen, no menu etc. fine.

I turn on without holding down F8 and beep beep beep, the boot menu appears.

It seems it is a broken F8 key which is engaged when you don't touch it, and disengaged when you hold it down.

typical.

Comment

I was going to jokingly suggest checking your F8 key wasn't stuck down or something, but thought 'nah... what are the chances of that?'.

Comment

I don't think I can even remove the keyboard to have a look on this crappy 5yr old dell inspiron. oh well I'll just tell him that its stuck down I guess.

Comment

Stuff that, put a bit of blu-tac on the button. The professional solution.

Comment

Easiest way off top of my head without having XP in front of me is to right click on my computer and go to properties.

Click on advanced tab - Startup and recovery - Settings

Then just put a zero in the time to display OS's, and it will then boot straight into XP from then on.

Comment

Working...
                X