Budget Gaming Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget Gaming Mouse

I've been looking out for a budget gaming mouse, and it seems that the ones to go for are -

Logitech MX518
    Razer Salmosa
    OCZ Behemoth

Does anyone have an opinion about these mice, and which one is the one to go for?

I'd prolly try the OCZ Behemoth if they're the only mice you're looking at. The Salmosa doesn't seem to have a side mouse button (which I find invaluable - dunno if you do?), otherwise it'd be ideal. Logitech's bloated Setpoint software is enough to put me off buying their hardware, lol.

Comment

I'm basically trying to keep disiplined with the budget because I'm not that heavy of an FPS gamer, I'm just thinking it might be time to retire my Asda Smartprice optical mouse.

Good point about the Logitech, I remember how much I hated Setpoint in the past. It seems to have been highly regarded as a gaming mouse for many years, though it is old. The Razer Salmosa is tempting mainly because I have a Razer Goliathus mouse mat, though the limited buttons is certainly crippling. The OCZ Behemoth certainly seems to blow away other mice in the price range, though it's also massive (not ideal for a laptop gamer like me, and one with a palm grip rather than claw grip).

People on other forums are recommending the Razer Deathadder, but that's pushing it in terms of price for me.

Comment

I use a MX518, I think it's great.

Not tried a Razer recently, but every now and then in the past I've tried one and not got on with them.

Before the MX518 I used to have a MS Intellimouse, can't remember the version, it was one of the smaller ones, which I really liked as well.

TBH once you get to a certain standard, I think it comes down to hand size and comfort as much as anything else. A million DPI isn't going to make that much of a difference

Edit - should say I'm running my MX518 on W7 beta without any Logitech software installed, so no worries about bloatware for me
        Last edited by Matt; 03-01-2010, 18:22.

Comment

I'm swaying towards the MX518 right now, after deciding that the Behemoth is too big and a bad shape. That said, I'm not sure the lacking amount of buttons on the Salmosa is that big of a deal - I'm used to using 3 button mice, and it's also the cheapest.

Taking a step back a bit, what is the key advantage of a gaming mouse? I hear that the 'pros' use as low a DPI as possible, which makes me wonder what the point is.

Comment

Get something you're comfortable with, that's the key. The pros, contrary to belief, set their sensitivity really low and use huge mousemats. I've a large mousemat myself, probably 14" by 10". If you're that serious, get the little stick on pads (can't remember their name) that go on the mouse pads themselves, they really improve gliding but need changing frequently.

I've no idea why someone would want more than 2 buttons on a mouse myself One for shoot, the other for jump, in classic Quake setup

Comment

I'm certainly one who believed that a quality mousemat is the most important thing. My brother bought me a Razer Goliathus Control mat for Christmas, and the difference is incredible. Unfortunately, it's having to look at this thing that makes me feel I should get a comparable mouse!

Maybe it's because of the games I play, but I've not really felt like I need more mouse buttons. Even in a browser, I instinctively use Backspace to go back, and seldom need to go forward.

Comment

On the similar subject, can anyone recommend a comfy mouse that meets the following criteria:

-Works well on a plain surface
                -suitable for lefties
                -not too many buttons (simple and light ideally) but has a mousewheel that allows for side clicks
                -wired

I've got an intellieye at the moment which is a great mouse but isn't brilliant on simple surfaces and doesn't have a side clicking mousewheel. Been looking at those blue light models MS do but they all seem to be wireless.

Comment

In case anyone wondered, I went with the Razer Salmosa in the end. It was by far the cheapest at £15, I realised I don't need any extra buttons, I prefer light and slim mice over chunky ones anyway... and it would go well with my Razer mat.

I'm glad I did though, it's very nice, and with DPI and Polling Rate selection being physical switches on the bottom of the mouse, you don't really need to install the Razer driver.

Comment

Working...
                  X