Faulty Power Supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty Power Supply?

My pc started switching itself off without warning afew days ago, and then not on at all. I bought a new motherboard yesterday (something i had to do anyway) and the same again, the fans spin for a second, blue lights flash inside the case and then nothing. Both the 8pin and 24pin connections are in place on the board.

I checked all the connections on both boards, both were grounded correctly and even ran a bench test, using just 1 stick of ram, cpu, heatsink and gpu. Exactly the same result.

It's a Corsair 550w and only about 3 months old.

I'd say it looks likely. If you purchase another PSU, and the problem still exists, just return it using the DSA and get your money back.

Alternatively, you haven't fried your CPU by overclocking have you? That would cause similar problems.

Comment

Check all the ram, graphics cards etc. haven't come loose from their slots, press them all in and make sure any levers or locks are all 'clicked in'. Check the heat sink is making contact with the CPU (if it isn't it could be overheating and triggering the emergency shut off). Reset the bios (will need to look up how to do it with your motherboard)

Comment

Everything is in place, jumpers correct etc. Tried both in and out of the case, using minimum amount of components on 2 Motherboards. Sadly nothing. The fans will only spin for a spilt second once, the plug needs to be removed for it to happen again. Pressing the power button on the board a 2nd time without removing the plug results in nothing. Has also been tested with more then 1 plug.
        Last edited by Rep; 03-01-2010, 16:37.

Comment

Wild stab in the dark but a PC I built a few weeks ago did this when the CPU Heatsink Fan was connected to the wrong connector on the board. I'd connected it to a SYSFAN connector rather than the CPU one therefore the MB thought there wasn't a CPU cooler attached and shut down.

Comment

Tried afew more tests, and still nothing. A dead psu might help explain why my system was cutting dead too. Knowing my luck when i drive back to Scan in the morning, it will magically start working again.

Fan was in the correct 4pin socket, also tried the stock heatsink, AC7 and H50 Water cooler.

Comment

All sorted, it was the psu after all. Got it swapped over and new one fired up first time New Antec Twelve Hundred Case feels like it's going to take off into the sky too

Comment

Working...
              X