Consoles and audio over HDMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consoles and audio over HDMI

Got a new amp to set up. Do both 360 and PS3 now support audio over HDMI? I'm pretty sure 360 does and I have a feeling PS3 now does via firmware update. Anyone know if Sky HD boxes do? I have a feeling I'll still need the optical for that.

Cheers

Both the PS3 and 360 do. The PS3 has the advantage of being able to provide 5.1 lossless audio over HDMI (and quite a lot of games take advantage of this), whereas the 360 is limited to Dolby Digital and DTS.

I heavily suspect the Sky HD boxes will do too.

Comment

Thanks. A bit of googling seems to indicate most Sky HD boxes still don't support DD over HDMI, which is a bit gay.

Comment

I didn't realise that Sky boxes were homosexual.

The 360 can do audio over HDMI, but only the same stuff that can be piped over optical (Dolby Digital, DTS, two-channel PCM).

The old-style PS3 can do Dolby Digital, DTS, and up to 7.1-channel PCM over HDMI, while the slim can do all that as well as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD for Blu-ray.

The last time I looked into it, Sky boxes could only do Dolby Digital over optical, which required a bit of digging through the manual on my Onkyo to get video over HDMI and sound over optical.

Comment

It's worth noting that the old-style PS3s can decode TrueHD and DTS-HD anyway and just send it as 7.1 LPCM, though it's good that the Slim has bitstreaming support. That said, this all might not matter to OP!

Comment

Which amp did you get?

I nearly bought an onkyo amp assuming it would carry the audio through the hdmi inputs when it didn't.

Comment

Yamaha DSP Z7

Comment

Thats a serious piece of kit. I'm sure you wouldn't have the issue i mentioned above with that!!

Comment

Working...
                X