win 7 UAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

win 7 UAC

ok, so user access control, its pretty helpful for spotting out dodgy stuff, however recently since i upgraded winamp, and malware anti-byte to name a few, they always produce a UAC prompt when i start them up, or in malwares case, on windows boot.

Its a minor inconvenience, but the sort of minor inconvenience that drives me right up the bloody walllllllll.

So aside from turning of UAC all together, is there anyway i can put the programs on a trust list or some junk, ive tried changing the programs properties->security to all enabled, but that makes no difference

cheers cheers

I don't use either app, but can't see why Winamp would demand administrator rights just to play some media (indeed, no other media player does). Haven't gone and ticked the 'run as administrator' box for the .exe properties have you?

Edit: 'Restore file associations at Winamp startup' - untick that option. An application cannot modify shell integration directly without admin rights, so is probably the cause.
    Last edited by Hohum; 24-01-2010, 16:01.

Comment

euch, automatically associating files without prompting. Horrible application design, no wonder if causes a UAC prompt

Comment

You can run apps on startup in admin mode by using the Task Scheduler (though there's no reason for Winamp to need this). Follow this guide except on step 7, select 'run on logon' instead.

UAC doesn't really exist for the benefit of the end user, is exists because so many developers made applications unnecessarily run in admin mode instead of user mode, it was implemented to make developers create their applications to run in user mode, thus removing the need for end users to use an account with full admin rights. It was the correct decision.

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps, and yep it was winamp restoring its file rights, of which i told it not todo on fking install, messing with my damn video and itunes formats grrrr
          cheers for the help

Comment

Working...
          X