scart to HDMI convertors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scart to HDMI convertors

hi, im looking to buy one of these...http://www.hdcable.co.uk/scart-hdmi-converter.html

wanting it to run my sfc/n64 on my HD set in 720p, just wondering if anyone has used these before, is the picture quality that much better than rgb, is it worth buying etc??

cheers

I don't think you'll get an astonishing quality from such a converter/upscaler...sure it's cheap but it won't be a huge step forward in video quality, plus lag could be an issue. A true dedicated upscaler like the XRGB3 (outputs to DVI which can be easily adapted to HDMI) or more costly DVDO/anchorbay products would be better.

Comment

I have one of these Pioneer scaler / splitter boxes:

Works pretty well with scart inputs and has a lot of other connections as well. A fair bit cheaper these days than they used to be as well.

Comment

Have your thought about maybe getting an entry level AV Amp? Onkyo 607 maybe?

Comment

Why do you want to convert SCART to HDMI? Is your TV doing a poor job of handling the signal directly?

Just so you're aware: when you connect a SCART device to a digitally-driven display like an LCD or Plasma, its own internal video converter is converting deinterlacing and upscaling the image anyway. An external device will only make the picture better if your TV's own video processor is doing a poor job on its own.

Also remember that the more boxes like this you put in the chain, the more input lag you'll probably get.

Comment

thanks for the advice, the rgb pic (snes and n64) on my samsung HD TV looks really crisp as it is but i was thinking that maybe it would look better with one of these 720p upscalers...or maybe not

if its not such an improvement i'll prob pass, i tend to play my retro stuff on old CRT sets (the best way)

Comment

Working...
            X