Windows Audio Setup guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Audio Setup guide

I've just returned home and hooked up my laptop to my Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers using analogue. Going through the settings within the Windows control panel (as well as the Realtek one), I can set the speakers as full-range, or not, as well as enabling Bass Management.

My assumption was that if I set these as not full range, it would redirect the bass to the subwoofer. However, fiddling with the options, I genuinely can't even hear if it's making a difference. This isn't a case of me not having the 'ear' for it I'm no audiophile but I can certainly here subtle differences in sound.

Can someone advise me on exactly how I'm supposed to configure Windows for my speakers?

I don't think the sub will do anything unless you're playing 5.1 content, as you need LFE/low frequency crossover controls to send the lower frequencies to the sub with stereo audio. Don't think you can do this with Realtek software, unless someone else can prove me wrong (unless that bass management option you mentioned covers it). Creative's audio cards have this feature whereby you adjust a slider to control the cut-off point for the lower frequencies to get sent to the sub.

Anyway, try playing back a DVD, should find the sub works in that scenario. Whether you should set full range speakers or not depends on whether they actually are full range of course.

Comment

My sub is definately 'active' even when playing 2.0 content, I assume the speaker system automatically sends low frequency sounds to the sub.

I honestly don't know if the speakers are full range, though it doesn't seem to actually make a difference however I set it.

Comment

Personally I would set the speakers to non full range and let the sub handle the bass.
        This is also how I have my cinema type speakers setup.

Comment

Working...
        X