PS3 > HDMI > new monitor audio dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 > HDMI > new monitor audio dilemma

Recently bought a monitor for my new PC. It has an HDMI input which I will use for my consoles (PS3/360). I am faced with an unforseen (well, I should of paid more attention) problem. See, the monitor, whilst being decent (iiyama Prolite E2407HDS-1), has poor built in speakers and what I thought was a 3.5 mm audio output when looking at pics of the monitor, turns out to be an input.

I don't have an amp or speakers with spdif support, do I have no other option than to splash out more on some more gear?

For my 360, I have a Vga cable which has Phonos attached.

Before the new monitor, I just went out of my tv to a pair of active monitors.

What connection do the active monitors have? If you were planning to use what you thought was a 3.5mm output from the monitor, may I assume that they use a 3.5mm connector? If that's the case, you could try using a 3.5mm>phono adapter/splitter and getting your PS3 to send audio via the AV multi out and across the composite cable supplied with the unit.

Comment

Yeah, my monitors have both phono and a 3.5mm inputs.

I have thought of that, but I'm sure I've tried that method for other strange reason in the past and it didn't work. I'll try tomorrow though.

Comment

It worked! Thanks. I probably wouldn't of tried that again...

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
            Yeah, my monitors have both phono and a 3.5mm inputs.

I have thought of that, but I'm sure I've tried that method for other strange reason in the past and it didn't work. I'll try tomorrow though.
            It wasn't possible in the past. A recent firmware update solved it.

Comment

Originally posted by amorenod View Post
              It wasn't possible in the past. A recent firmware update solved it.
              Aha! Thanks for that info.

Comment

Working...
              X