Audio help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio help.

My Dad has let me have this 5.1 system for free and I'd like to put it to best use as I won't be able to buy myself anything for a good while, plus my Panasonic PT-A300E projector's little speaker isn't going to cut it anymore.

I've 2 issues, first is the best method of supplying sound to it and secondly, placement of the units.

Here is the 5.1 system:

Base & Controller Unit
    Front, rear and central speakers
    Auido inputs located at back of the controller unit.

What I understand is that in the audio input goes into the control panel which is sat on top of the base unti. A lead then runs from the control unit to the base unit. The base unit has the rest of speaker connectors where I run the speaker wire to the smaller Front, Rear and Centre speakers.

What would the best placement be for these in relation to the room I'll be using? You can find pictures of the room here.

The second issue is how to supply this unit sound. The sources will be an original Xbox, Gamecube, PS2 and DVD player. How should I go about connecting the Red and White audio jacks from a component lead into the controller unit for instance?

I don't have an amp either.

I just want to replay Halo with surround sound and also recreate a little cinema feeling with DVD.

Any help would be great even if it means pointing out something bleeding obvious, I need that too ^_^
    Last edited by TheShend; 05-02-2010, 11:35.

red and white would need a convertor into the green socket (for DPLII)
    DVD should have digital coax output (for DD5.1). Xbox has digital optical output if you get the right lead (for DD5.1)

Comment

I had a Logitech system for a long time. They're excellent for small rooms.

The Xbox and PS2 both have optical so you can use that for them. Basic physical optical switches are very cheap and work well enough, so you can flick between them easily. Most DVD players have optical these days but if yours has coaxial digital that'll be ideal, because then you can give that its own input.

The ones with the red/white stereo connections need an adaptor cable to go from those to a 3.5mm headphone jack. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple of quid if you don't have one laying around. If it's anything like my old Logitech you can switch the stereo inputs between three stereo/Pro Logic inputs or one direct 5.1 channel input, which is handy if you get a Blu-ray player with analogue outputs and internal decoding of HD audio.

Comment

Working...
      X