PS3 video settings for ps2 ps1 stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 video settings for ps2 ps1 stuff

The option for BD/ DVD upscaler, does this apply for low other resolution like ps2 and ps1 games?

Is so which is best to choose: off / double scale / normal / full screen?

If not what video setting is the one for ps2 and ps1 games? Mine is a 60GB pal ps3.

Thank you.

Use 'normal;' for upscaling DVDs. There is a seperate option for upscaling PS1 and PS2 games.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
      Use 'normal;' for upscaling DVDs. There is a seperate option for upscaling PS1 and PS2 games.
      Found it now thanks. Now I'm trying to decide which option is best. I've tried them all out with mashed and I still can't decide. I think full with smoothing on looks best but the stretched screen throws of the controls somewhat.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Normal for 4:3 games, Full for 16:9 games

The problem is that you have to remember to change this setting before booting the game.

Smoothing only for PS1 games, IMO

Comment

Full screen DVDs. PS3 can upscale very well.

PS1 games should be "smoothed" if they are 3-D.

PS2 games look better in 480p than 1080p, but this requires changing the settings before you start the game, which is not a good thing. You should be able to select a "default" mode for each format, which would then be remembered I reckon.

If you have a PS2, you're better off using that for PS2 games IMO.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Smoothing only blurs things, I just left it off.

Comment

Smoothing is obviously a personal preference, though I always disable it. The effect is similar to rubbing vaseline on the screen.
              Last edited by sj33; 22-03-2010, 22:16.

Comment

It's really dependent on the particular game. Smoothing looks crap on MGS1 but really good on FFIX, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  Full screen DVDs. PS3 can upscale very well.

PS1 games should be "smoothed" if they are 3-D.

PS2 games look better in 480p than 1080p, but this requires changing the settings before you start the game, which is not a good thing. You should be able to select a "default" mode for each format, which would then be remembered I reckon.

If you have a PS2, you're better off using that for PS2 games IMO.
                  The menu on my ps3 only has: 576p / 720p / 1080i / 1080p.

If using a ps2 for ps2 games would it not look terrible on an lcd?

Comment

^It's not going to make a massive difference how you run it, it'll always look roughly the same. The PS3 can upscale a PS1/2 game, but the game itself is still running at the same old resolution. If you just use a PS2, the scaling simply happens at the TV side.

Comment

Agree with Joe BTW. A PS2 outputting component to my 46" 1080p LCD looks better than my old phat PS3 ever did runnign PS2 games (I tried all the settings).

Comment

Working...
                      X