Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a used CRT TV - Things to look out for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a used CRT TV - Things to look out for?

I have the opportunity to buy a 32'' Loewe Vitros 6381ZW. It would replace my 28'' Sony KV-28FX60 as my 'definitive' CRT TV for last-gen and older consoles (though the latter will probably remain connected to a 15'' 4:3 Panasonic).

Buying something like this makes me nervous: it's heavy, bulky, has to be picked up a good drive away from where I live and, more importantly, won't be as cheap as you might expect (Loewes and other higher-end TVs aren't nearly as common in Portugal as they are in the UK).

What I could use some help with is what should I look out for when I get the chance to examine it, how can I test it to make sure it's in good condition?

I've found a way to know for how many hours it has been turned on. Apparently, one has to:
    • Open the flap at the front and press the first button from the left. A 'Direct control on TV' menu should appear.
    • Scroll down to highlight 'Service'.
    • With the remote on one hand, press the same button again and immediately press 'M' on the remote. This should open the 'Service' menu.
    • 'System Data' should be highlighted. Pressing 'OK' on the remote should show the operating time in hours.
    • Pressing 'E' on the remote will exit.
    I think I can manage to do that without causing any serious damage...

I have a Loewe Aconda which is based on the same chassis as the Vitros. When you are looking at the Vitros turn off all of the video processing options in the menus eg DMI and DMM. The shaprness should be set around 1 or 2. Any lower can actually soften the image.
    Check the geometry when it's displaying 4:3 - the image should not display signs of bulge at the sides.
    If the picture looks like it is sloping to the side check the rotation option in the menu to see if it has been altered.
    Sound quality on these sets is excellent so don't be afraid to rump up the volume to test it out.
    Be careful in the service menu, there are a lot of options in there that mean nothing to you or I but could really screw up the picture on the TV.
    And be aware these sets are 100Hz and de-interlacing so won't be any use with light gun games.
    I think you will be well impressed with the Vitros.

Comment

i would avoid buying any 100hz set for gaming (unless it can be deactivated). I have seen some pretty bad judder and lag on them, displaying games at 60HZ

Comment

I've never had any bother with lag on the 100Hz Loewes. I also use the motion smoothing features with older games to smooth out choppy visuals. Obviously it will depend on an individuals sensitivity to lag.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          i would avoid buying any 100hz set for gaming (unless it can be deactivated). I have seen some pretty bad judder and lag on them, displaying games at 60HZ
          It's really noticable on my Toshiba unless I turn off the 100Hz when I'm playing beatmania IIDX.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm not the most technical of individuals so any tips or considerations are most welcome.

Be careful in the service menu, there are a lot of options in there that mean nothing to you or I but could really screw up the picture on the TV.
            I've heard the horror stories! I wouldn't fiddle with any of the settings there without doing some extensive study first. The procedure for checking the operating time seems simple enough, though. How much time would you say is too much time for a set such as this?

And be aware these sets are 100Hz and de-interlacing so won't be any use with light gun games.
            The internal deinterlacer can be turned off, thankfully. Can the 100Hz option be turned off, though? I'll see if I can find some information on that. I love my lightgun games, which I guess I could always play on an older set, but judder and lag are a big no-no.

The fact that this set can take a component signal through the third scart socket and that it can display a 480p NTSC image are so tempting! I was one of the few that had high hopes that the Samsung Slimfit CRTs would turn out to be decent...

Comment

There may be something in the service menu to disable the 100Hz scanning. I need to have a look myself to see if it can be done. It would be great to get Virtua Cop working on the Saturn again.

Comment

I second that, my guns don't seem to align with my screen properly.

Comment

Working...
                X