Xbox scratching DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox scratching DVDs

I just noticed last night that on my more frequently played games (RTCW and MotoGP2) there are lots of tiny little scratches, almost like skuff marks on the outer rims of the game discs.

Now, having a love/hate thing with my Xbox and not *really* giving a **** about it these scratches could be due to my carelessness but I was wondering if anyway else has a similar issue.

MS seem to insist that these scratched won't afffect the functionality of the game and this seems to be true but it's still pretty annoying.

This was widely reported as a problem when the Xbox was first released, especially on the jpn launch.

I don't think MS ever really explained what the problem was, but I think we can assume it was fixed with newer models - how old is your Xbox?

Comment

I had the same thing happen with my launch model [PAL] Xbox. The scratches were quite small and only around the very edge of the disc. They never hindered game play, but it pissed me off no end!
      Recently I've purchased a newer model XBox, and noticed that the disc tray is lighter [more flimsy], and has a few holes in it that weren't in the more robust tray on my old XBox. Perhaps the tray was redesigned to sort out the disc scratching problem...

Comment

I find it odd that anyone can design a disc player that scratches the discs

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
          This was widely reported as a problem when the Xbox was first released, especially on the jpn launch.

I don't think MS ever really explained what the problem was, but I think we can assume it was fixed with newer models - how old is your Xbox?
          It's a PAL model bought May 2002 just after the first major price drop.

Originally posted by jimmie2k
          I had the same thing happen with my launch model [PAL] Xbox. The scratches were quite small and only around the very edge of the disc. They never hindered game play, but it pissed me off no end!
          Recently I've purchased a newer model XBox, and noticed that the disc tray is lighter [more flimsy], and has a few holes in it that weren't in the more robust tray on my old XBox. Perhaps the tray was redesigned to sort out the disc scratching problem...
          If it was any other machine I'd be fuming but not the Xbox. I'm not anti MS or any of that junk but up until Wolfy and MotoGP2 I barely touched the thing.

I do have another xbox but it doesn't run retail games for me to check it out.

Did you purchase a new one *just* to get around the disc scratching thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Valken

Did you purchase a new one *just* to get around the disc scratching thing?
            No, I've just bought KOTOR and had heard about it having trouble on some older model XBoxs'. I didn't want the scratching to get any worse either, and thought, seen as the XBox is so cheap id be better off replacing it. After all if the old XBox had scratched, and maybe ruined 3 games over time, the value of those games is more than a new, fully working XBox. So...yeah. I got a copy of MGS substance with it aswell and an new unscratched copy of Halo...:P

Comment

the problem was the discs ever so slightly 'wobble' when being spinned, which scuffs the edges. i have a first gen xbox and it does scuff the discs a little - but they are not what i'd call "scratchs" and dont seem to effect the game what so ever.

i tend to always get dirty disc errors randomly - even with brand new unplayed games.

i always thought it'd be cool if you could install a game onto the hard-disc and not have to put the DVD in anymore to play it, but i suppose that would take up the whole 8gig HD

Comment

jimmie2k,

Yeah, good point... I've been having no probs with KOTOR on mine so I can't really justify buying another one when I could get games I want instead. If 5 months of scratching doesn't **** up RTCW etc I'm willing to take my chances considering I've played that bad boy to death.

Still, it's nice to know the cheapness of the machine always makes easy replacement an option.

Comment

Pirotic,

Yeah... I figured that's what was happening.

I've only ever had a disc read error with Halo while trying to use XBconnect with my machine in 60Hz and another in 50 (which is apparently a known issue) and with a pre release copy of midtown madness 3 that seemed very badly mastered.

Comment

also, with KotoR all the FMV is really jerky sometimes, like the drive isnt going fast enough - i suspect this is also an issue with the initial generations DVD drives.

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed that a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirotic
                        the problem was the discs ever so slightly 'wobble' when being spinned, which scuffs the edges. i have a first gen xbox and it does scuff the discs a little - but they are not what i'd call "scratchs" and dont seem to effect the game what so ever.
                        I also reckon that, on putting the disc in the drive, it isn't quite in the centre and the bay going back into the machine "moves" the disc slightly. No problems with any of my games though.

i tend to always get dirty disc errors randomly - even with brand new unplayed games.
                        Mech Assault and Sega GT are my two "problem" games; Mech Assault just stops working after an hour or two of play, Sega GT fails to boot (plus, its **** )

Comment

Yeah, the scuffs would be consistant with the part of the disc that actually rests on the disc tray before the little spindle starts to spin the disc.

Still having Mech Assault problems then?

Comment

Nah, I stopped playing it

Comment

Working...
                            X