Total Saturn Noob needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Saturn Noob needs advice

Ok, I seem to have totally missed the Sega Saturn (mate had one but I was more of a Playstation fanboy) but I just got a Japanese one in a nice ebay win.

White Saturn - Metal Slug (with spine) - Panzer Dragoon - Nights - Mobile Suit Gundam - Dark Saviour (inc. spine) - Sega Rally(inc spine) - Vampire Hunter (inc. spine).

Everything was totally mint, i was well impressed when it came through this morning. All the games were in baggies and the console box didnt have a mark on it.

So anyway..couple of questions.

1. What else should I get? (think I'll need a RAM expansion)
    2. I noticed in the auction description he mentioned the Saturn's model number (HST-0014), are some models better than others?
    3. Is there any mods I can do to the machine?
    4. I might not keep all the games I've listed, anyone know what they are worth?

Basically anything I should know about the Saturn.

Ta
    G

Originally posted by g-funk
    1. What else should I get? (think I'll need a RAM expansion)
    More games.

1Meg RAM for Metal Slug too. (Sure it works with (but doesnt use) 4Meg one too).

2. I noticed in the auction description he mentioned the Saturn's model number (HST-0014), are some models better than others?
    Not really, the older machines (Ones with oval reset buttons) run more software. I think Space Harrier doesn't like the White machine

3. Is there any mods I can do to the machine?
    UK/US/Jap switch
    50/60Hz switch (However a lot of games are optomised for specific regions so you may find that some games don't work correctly)

4. I might not keep all the games I've listed, anyone know what they are worth?
    Except Metal Slug (about ?30), the rest are worth between ?3 to ?10.

Basically anything I should know about the Saturn.
    Has the largest software base of any of the Sega Machines with over 1000 titles released on it, has lots of nice bargains and hidden gems as well as lots of overpriced tat as well (Radiant Silvergun springs to mind).

Comment

Better check the internal battery of the console. Just incase it's run out, thus you can't save any games.

Also get the 3D/analog pad for Nights. It play much better.

Comment

Any good links for the mods?

Comment

Originally posted by MD
          Except Metal Slug (about ?30)
          I always thought Metal Slug cost more like ?40-?50 these days? I'm sure I've seen it going for that?

g-funk-how much did that little bundle cost you?

Geezer

Comment

You'd be surprised how much it cost, but maybe I shouldn't say in case I decide to sell anything off here

Heres the auction.

I mainly wanted the Xbox, so the rest was a nice bonus.

Comment

looks like a ****ing bargain mate. well done.

Comment

The Saturn is a king of 2D fighters, so if you enjoy them, pretty much any of them is worth picking up. If you can get hold of Street Fighter Collection and Capcom Generations 5, you'll be in 2D fighter heaven.

Regards
                Marty

Comment

IMO the Saturn has the best CD Audio playback out of most consoles. Get a nice arcade stick. The Sega Virtua Stick might be harder to find, now that them Hong Kong guys have bought up the surplus to be converted for Xbox use. Try to find a nice Hori stick, they're really lovely.

Also, I'm not sure if the Japanese model comes with an RGB cable. And if it did, I doubt it'd be Euro standard SCART pinout. Might want to track one down on ebay. Saturn outputs a lovely rgb image

Hope that helps, Saturn is yummy!!!

Comment

nice, very nice-thats a great buy
                    I've got to say I'd be wary of handing over that sort of ??? to someone with a feedback of 11 at the time, you're the only person he's dealt with in like a year!!!

ps-g-funk-I haven't quoted you in case you want to edit out the link

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, SFA2 on the Saturn is sublime, you owe it to yourself to buy it-In my books its definitely worth owning a Saturn just for that game, but there's so much more. Arcade perfect Vs games, SFZ3 etc.-if you're a Capcom fan you'll be in heaven

Comment

Yeah I always remember thinking SFa2 was much better on my mates Saturn than the PSX version, the pad is so much better for it.

Geezer Yeah I was a bit wary, but thought it was too good a deal not to risk. I actually sent the guy a couple of emails when i won and didnt get a reply for a couple of days, i was starting to panic a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Firsty
                          IMO the Saturn has the best CD Audio playback out of most consoles.
                          Hmm, it doesnt really have a clean Audio out signal....

Pioneer Laseractive (has opitical out... ), Sega / Victor Wondermega,
                          Sega Mega CD, PC Engine CD-ROM, PC Engine Duo (not R or RX), and even the Sony Playstation (original one..) and Philips CD-i have better audio out....

Comment

Lmao that was a snipe-fest wasn't it

Bri

Comment

Originally posted by bwi
                              Lmao that was a snipe-fest wasn't it

Bri
                              Hehe, so it was. Just noticed how close the final bids were.

Comment

Working...
                              X