XP over Win7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    I've got an HP ghost image of XP Pro here, but it's the company build, so it is set up to only allow downloads of patches and updates when connected to their server. Otherwise yes, I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of XP...
    You might be able to create a version of Windows from your HP disc which doesn't have these drawbacks. I used it to make my Dell disc into one I can use on any hardware I choose:

Click to view When you're installing Windows in a virtual machine or on old, slow hardware, you want the leanest, meanest and fastest-running configur

You basically create a new XP disc with all the settings as you please.

Comment

Given I'm still an employee for now, I'm gonna try speak to someone at work about getting a normal XP disc... if they can source one in time.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

If you've bought a HP laptop/Desktop they come with Windows XP Pro installed and Windows 7 in the box on a disk. You just need to make a backup image of the XP Pro if you ever need to reinstall Windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          Does Win7 do Documents&Settings the same way as XP, as there's a bunch of files and settings sitting in there for my profile on this laptop I'd need to move over.
          I've just started using some Windows 7 computers the last few weeks.

Outlook 2003/7 save all the email addresses you send to so they pop up as suggestions each time you email.

I just copied the .nk2 file across from a user's old XP computer using the info here: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup2007.asp

Instead of copying to Documents and Settings, I put it here:
          %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlo ok

So there/s a few changes, but I'm another convert and think it's great. Very user-friendly.

Comment

Files and setting transfer wizard is your friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenji View Post
              If you've bought a HP laptop/Desktop they come with Windows XP Pro installed and Windows 7 in the box on a disk. You just need to make a backup image of the XP Pro if you ever need to reinstall Windows XP.
              Sadly a bit late now I've installed everything I want on here for now, and the only thing is to copy across a pile of my personal stuff. Will be in the office tomorrow so I might speak to the guy then...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yep some structures changed but most stuff works as expected. More tweaks under the hood I am guessing.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                I've just started using some Windows 7 computers the last few weeks.

Outlook 2003/7 save all the email addresses you send to so they pop up as suggestions each time you email.

I just copied the .nk2 file across from a user's old XP computer using the info here: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup2007.asp

Instead of copying to Documents and Settings, I put it here:
                %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

So there/s a few changes, but I'm another convert and think it's great. Very user-friendly.

Comment

Just remembered a positive for using Windows 7 and gaming, TF2 locked up on my XP machine last night and I had to restart it in the end. Windows 7 usually recovers gracefully. This alone makes it worth it IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X