Tate monitors - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tate monitors - help!

Does anyone have any suggestions for monitors that can rotate through 90 degrees (i.e. switch between portrait and landscape) with a 'standard' stand? I do not have the option of a wall mount as I am looking at something around the 20" mark, and just in case the request wasn't already awkward enough, ideally it'd be 4:3 and available quite cheap. I am not so fussy about inputs though as VGA would be fine - I would be using it pretty much exclusively for shooters on the 360.

I have so far found a couple of Dell monitors that fit the bill and I was looking in particular at the 2001FP, but every time I bid on one on Fleabay it seems to end up going much higher than the going rate. Plus if there's anything out there that does a similar job I would be equally interested.

Be wary that although some do have the feature, it often is the opposite way also, so make sure the game supports tate both ways or check beforehand

Comment

Good point sir - I borrowed a 2001FP once and had this very same dilemma, leading to me trying to play Ikaruga upside down. A bit of research since has shown that you can take a screwdriver the stand to change this though

Think most of the 360 Cave ports have both, but it would probably make sense for me to check.

Comment

You could check out Xerox's line of displays (PDF link): some are 4:3, they TATE and have a nice protective glass screen. They generally use DVI inputs but they supply a DVI-VGA adapter in the box. They're a bit old now so you should be able to find one quite cheaply on eBay.

Here's a bonus shot of mine playing Mushi Futari via 360 VGA, TATEd to the right. Sorry for the awful webcam quality (and the undecorated walls) but it was all I had to hand.

Comment

Good shout - is it just those two at the top with the Xstand that do it? Which have you got, out of question?

Comment

Yep- I believe that it's just the XAP series that has the X-Stand. Mine's the XAP-192i. You might want to read reviews for a more technical perspective but I've been using mine with my 360 via VGA for a little while now and I like it- Bayonetta looked great on it, although I recall some vertical tearing during that game. It probably doesn't display as impressive a picture as more modern monitors but for quality versus second-hand price, they're not bad. I wouldn't pay any attention to the speakers, though- they're as awful as you'd expect.

Comment

HP do a 22 inch monitor that you can spin from portrait to landscape available at comet for ?169

Comet is back to bring you savings on Washing Machines, TVs, Laptops, Air Fryers, Smart Heating and more. Finance options available. Shop our range today.

Comment

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Check dell out. bought mine about four or five years ago, came with its own stand that allows rotation.

Comment

Good shout on Dell - I'm still keeping an eye out for a 2001FP as I think that may be great. I've also come across this - http://www.acuitydesigns.net/what-is...raphy-monitor/ - which lists a few 4:3's that pivot. That 21" NEC in particular sounds ideal. Problem is finding half of them for a decent price. Despite being ridiculously picky I am also after a bit of a bargain and am scouring eBay, Gumtree etc for a real steal.

Comment

I have the HP 22" model previous to the one mentioned above (No HDMI on my one) used to play Ikaruga in tate on it and was excellent. Should be able to pick one up pretty cheap now, model number W2207. Lovely looking panel, with nice rotation mechanism.

Comment

Yeah, I have the HP w2207h.

Currently got my JP 360 plugged into it as I've stopped using it on my desktop as I'm moving my desk and only using my laptop so I have a writing space, and somewhere to put my astro city.

Really good stuff.

Comment

How do you find the screen ratio for the 360 stuff? I guess you just have the borders at the top/bottom? I think that is one of the few things putting me off a WS display like that right now.

A very lucky man got a 21" 4:3 NEC monitor for £31 on eBay today. Would've put in a cheeky bid myself but it needed collection from Farnborough

Now safe in the knowledge that the proper term to be using is "pivot", I'm getting closer to a much more exhaustive list of all monitors that fit the bill, but now it's a case of searching high and low for them at sensible prices.

Cheers for all help so far guys I should probably sleep now or something.

Comment

I had this one

It was awesome, But I knocked it over and smashed it

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            How do you find the screen ratio for the 360 stuff? I guess you just have the borders at the top/bottom? I think that is one of the few things putting me off a WS display like that right now.
                            Yeah, I'd say 4:3 would definitely be better. But the monitor has the pivot integrated into the design so it's just convenient.

Brief idea, temp setup until my candy comes.

Comment

I have a cheap Dell 19 Inch screen, and it works nicely for the 360/MAME in tate mode with a DVI-HDMI adpater.

Comment

Working...
                              X