Recomend a wireless router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recomend a wireless router?

Hello chaps, I wonder if any kind soul could recommend me a wireless router.

Using virgin media cable internet, need to have 4 wired ports and wireless for other rooms.....looking to spend no more than ?40 ideally.

Thank you in advance!

Linksys WRT54G if you can find one- has the four ethernet ports and upgradeable antennas if you want to use high-gain ones for the wireless connection. Should be around £45 if you shop around. The older models can be flashed with third-party firmware too. Mine's been rock solid for the last five years and plays nicely with the PS3/360.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
      Linksys WRT54G if you can find one- has the four ethernet ports and upgradeable antennas if you want to use high-gain ones for the wireless connection. Should be around £45 if you shop around. The older models can be flashed with third-party firmware too. Mine's been rock solid for the last five years and plays nicely with the PS3/360.
      Gotta agree with the guy. Had one for donkeys years and even with PSN or Xbox Live running on 2 360's at once, 2 PC's and 2 laptops online in the house, never had any lag/connection issues.

Comment

I need a router that is Remote Play compatible, which means it needs to be "wake up on LAN" compatible. I'm a Netgear fan so if there is one that'd be great.
        Last edited by J0e Musashi; 26-05-2010, 16:41.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Thanks for the recs guys, id rather buy new if poss, does anyone have experience with this one, reviews seem excellent

Netgear WGR614UK

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with older reliable Netgears.

It's the new fangled N band stuff you need to be careful about.

Comment

This is a good site for research

Comment

Thanks for the tip ill have a rummage through that site.

Comment

Bear in mind how many interior walls there'll be between your router and the rest of your wireless devices. That Netgear that you've linked to has quite a small antenna so it may be alright for shorter distances but you might run into trouble if you're placing the router at the other end of a house or on a different floor.

Comment

The laptop it connects too will never be any more than 25 metres away on the same floor going through 2 walls/doors, though if poss i would like to future proof and am ready to spend for the best quality!

Comment

The Buffalo routers are OK as they have the AOSS connection method, making setup a doddle. Works with the DS/ Wii/ PSP etc as they have an AOSS option when setting up a new connection.

Comment

Working...
                      X