Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on cutting up a SNES

Hello.

I've already modded a SNES according to mmmonkey's guide but I just used the cheapo toggle switches that you only need to drill a hole for. At the time I sent the top of the case off to chaoticjelly before he went AWOL and he widened the slot for me.

I've recently bought another SNES and would like to do a more professional job, this time using slider switches instead of toggles. What I'd like to know is what is the best way to cut holes like mmmonkey has done here:

I have bought a Dremel but as of yet I haven't tried using it and, to be honest, I haven't a clue where to start. The cutting blades look like they're too big to cut such small holes but I'm guessing they will be fine for widening the slot.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm mmmonkey. When it comes to fitting those slide switches I drill a hole that's just big enough for me to fit a needle file in and then file it out to the correct size, using a switch which I've taken apart as a template.

Check out the MD guide for some more pictures - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md1switches.htm

(oh, and tying to display my photo's won't work on any other site, a PS3 site once stole one of my guides and hotlinked all the photo's, it nearly cost me hundreds in excessive bandwith and i had to close my site down for a bit!)

I don't have any advice for widening the cart slot though, I've never done it as I would want to make a new cart door (or extend it) so that there were no gaps.

ta
    Pete

Comment

Great site btw

Comment

Originally posted by hellbelly View Post
        I don't have any advice for widening the cart slot though, I've never done it as I would want to make a new cart door (or extend it) so that there were no gaps.
        And what's ice cream got to do with the price of beans? Badoom tish.

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. That's the same technique I used to fit a slider on the back of my Multimega where the little hole is. I take it the plastic of a SNES is a bit thinner though 'cause the Multi was a bugger to file down neatly.

If anyone else has any advice on widening the cart slot or just advice on using a Dremel to cut plastic I'd love to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by hellbelly View Post
          (oh, and tying to display my photo's won't work on any other site, a PS3 site once stole one of my guides and hotlinked all the photo's, it nearly cost me hundreds in
          I hope you goatse'ed them

Comment

my word, i only just got the ice cream joke, that's been troubling me since you posted it - doh!

BUT, what's "goatse'ed them" mean?

my web host at the time was very understanding, and sent me instructions on how to protect against hotlinking and waived the excess bandwidth charges that month

Anyways, I will be practising widening a cart slot soon!

Comment

oooh, found the guide I saw for this - http://www.ffviman.fr/switch-snes/mo...uche-pg-i.html

Comment

Working...
              X