Popcorn Hour/ Sumvision Media/MKV Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popcorn Hour/ Sumvision Media/MKV Players

Does anyone have one of these or has used them? Looking for one to specifically play 1080p/DTS MKV Files.

Any opinions appreciated.

Check out the WD TV maybe

Opinions on these would be appreciated by myself.

Comment

I rate the WDTV pretty highly ( I own one). Plays everything I can throw at it. does occasionally struggle on over elaborate subtitles (ie in fansub openings) but it's about as flexible as you'll get (next to a HTPC)

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        Check out the WD TV maybe

Opinions on these would be appreciated by myself.
        I have the latest "Live Model" & its great, as good as my core duo HTPC for sound & video quality. Great value for ?90 or they go for around ?50 second hand on the AVForums?

Comment

got both the WD and Popcorn hour a110, both are great, WD for just plug in an play, and the pchour for yamj and customisation, although check what version of the WD as version 1 doesn't do dts.

Comment

I have a Popcorn a110 and after installing YAMJ and NMT server it is a really sweet device, a beautiful interface taht can be customised till your heart is content.

Comment

While cheap as chips (got mine for ?17) the sumvision cyclone wouldnt play a 720p mkv i threw at it. Everything else has been fine though, great way for someone not computer literate (my mum) to watch file based stuff

Comment

I have a Sumvision Cylcone 1tb MKV media player. I love it. Plays every format I throw at it, I'm sure some people over on Avforums are even running Blu ray isos through it too. I dont use the Bittorrent or youtube facilities, nor do I play music through it but its the perfect little device for transporting your SD/HD movie material with IMO. I can connect external Hdds into it via Usb 2 whether they formatted in Fat32 or NTFS or I can connect it to my laptop via RJ45 or USB. It also has HDMI, Componant and composite out as well as coax and optical. I play mainly 720p DD or DTS files through it but it will easily do 1080p. I dont think the hardware can handle TrueDD or DTS-HD but I can live without it.

I considered it a steal at £150 when I bought it 3-4 months ago, its less than £120 now!!! crazy steal
                http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle

Comment

For a few quid more you can go the whole hog if you get hold of an Acer Revo.

Chuck on a copy of TMT3 and you can have Bluray playback as well. I have one in my bedroom linked to my HTPC. live and recorded TV over 300 dvds as well as over 150 blurays + all my music and pictures. 1080p perfect picture with all the correct framrates.
                  Well worth the investment.

Worthy reading
                  part 1
                  Hi all, Right I didn't see anyone else answering questions so as a new owner I thought I would get the ball rolling. I have the £249 version with 160gb hdd, this was purchased for one purpose, windows center, no gaming and no other apps. The standard vista install is ok in media center...

part 2
                  This thread is a continuation of this thread that can be found here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-entertainment-pcs/999568-acer-aspire-revo-owners-thread.html Thanks to ginoworm for starting the original thread For reference First Post: Hi all, Right I didn't see anyone...
                  Last edited by huxley; 30-07-2010, 12:27.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                    I have a Sumvision Cylcone 1tb MKV media player. I love it. Plays every format I throw at it, I'm sure some people over on Avforums are even running Blu ray isos through it too. I dont use the Bittorrent or youtube facilities, nor do I play music through it but its the perfect little device for transporting your SD/HD movie material with IMO. I can connect external Hdds into it via Usb 2 whether they formatted in Fat32 or NTFS or I can connect it to my laptop via RJ45 or USB. It also has HDMI, Componant and composite out as well as coax and optical. I play mainly 720p DD or DTS files through it but it will easily do 1080p. I dont think the hardware can handle TrueDD or DTS-HD but I can live without it.

I considered it a steal at ?150 when I bought it 3-4 months ago, its less than ?120 now!!! crazy steal
                    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...source=froogle
                    Thanks for all the replies guys, its great little box indeed!

Only problem i am having is that i can't get DTS or DD5.1 out of it on my dads 5.1 setup which is a Panasonic SC-PT467EB but i get both DTS and DD fine on my JVC TH-L1, anyone got any ideas?

Comment

If you're using HDMI then change the audio output to hdmi raw or something similar to that. I had the same problem when I got mine, was bloody annoying until I figured it out!

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                        If you're using HDMI then change the audio output to hdmi raw or something similar to that. I had the same problem when I got mine, was bloody annoying until I figured it out!
                        Should have said this is through the Optical out, HDMI is being used for Video only.

It has Spdif Raw and LPCM, LPCM has sound sound but doesnt use the back speakers ( doesnt come up DTS or DD on the player either ) and Spdif Raw gets now sound at all.

If i put it in Spdif Raw on my 5.1 i get DTS & DD.

I'm thinking its his 5.1 but its weird because the 360 and PS3 both do DD and DTS through spdif on it.

Comment

hmmm, not sure what the problem is then. Sounds like you've narrowed it down to his setup through process of elimination. Are you using the same optical cable on yours and his setup? Im surprised his system cannot accept 5.1 through optical though, even with hdmi connected at the same time. I dont suppose you can connect a different connection like component for picture and then the optical to see if the device or his system have a problem of accepting hdmi and optical at the same time? Or maybe his system needs to be told to ignore the 5.1 being sent through the hdmi and to ignore that and accept the optical only.

Comment

Working...
                          X