Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

360 VGA Qs

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a new HP monitor for photo editing and I'm thinking about buying a VGA cable for my 360. However, my monitor does not have a VGA port, but rather a DVI-VGA cable. Therefore I have a cable coming from my monitor with a male end. Do the 360 VGA cables have male ends also? Do I need to buy an adapter or are there 3rd party cables with the right bits? If it's an adapter, any recommendations?

Also, I read that the 360's best 16:10 resolution was 1280x768 – is that still true? I currently have it on 1080p via component and the monitor on 1:1 pixel mapping.

Annoyingly I'll have to switch between 1:1 and scaled every time I want to switch to playing on the Wii. :/

Thanks for looking...

It comes with the required male/female adaptor anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. Obviously the socket needs to be DVI-I (i.e. analogue-capable).

The 360 does do 1440x900 and 1680x1050 since a newer firmware update. It does not do 1920x1200 however - only 1920x1080. However, games themselves are always in 16:9 - the 16:10 resolutions just ensure the correct aspect ratio is retained on 16:10 screens. So if your screen can display 1920x1080 whilst maintaining correct aspect ratio, you could use that.

Comment

Ah, thanks for the info!

Yeah, I think my TV supports analogue through the DVI slot as I have my computer hooked up that way currently.

Presumably on 16:10 resolutions the 360 just adds in some black pixels to fill the image up to spec?
      Last edited by egparadigm; 08-06-2010, 16:50.

Comment

It certainly does that when using 1440x900, I've not tried all resolutions. At one point, it did used to stretch the image... but after 3 years, they finally got round to fixing it.

Also, if your 360 has a HDMI port, it correctly detects if you have a DVI cable attached and unlocks the PC resolutions.

Comment

Working...
        X