Transfering 360 HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfering 360 HDD

I'm sure there's a thread for this already but I can't find it.

I want to get everything from my 360 20G HDD onto a new 120GB HDD that I just bought.

Can I do this without getting a transfer cable?

I know you can save some stuff onto an external drive via usb. What exactly can I transfer accross this way and is it easy to get it back onto the 120G HDD?

All I've got is some games saves, around 10 xbla games, a few profiles and a bunch of points.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

For the most part, yes, but if any saves are copy locked, then you won't move them without the transfer system. Any DLC will need to have the licenses transferred as well iirc.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Console is not changing so license transfer is not required.

Comment

Yeah, I misread the first post, I thought he had bought a new system, not just the HDD.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far. Can I move the game saves without the transfer cable considering they will be used on the same console? What exactly should I be backing up and what can I just re download?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
            Thanks for the advice so far. Can I move the game saves without the transfer cable considering they will be used on the same console? What exactly should I be backing up and what can I just re download?

Thanks.

Anything you've purchased from marketplace can be re-downloaded from xbox live on your new console if you are keeping the same account. There is a download history option on the marketplace tab i think?.

Most save games can be moved i think, though i lost a few when i moved to an elite by using a memory card.

Comment

Actually you can use the transfer option when you're in the memory settings to transfer all saves, even ones that you can't copy. I recently got a new 360 HDD and I just made a 16GB partition on an external usb HDD and transfered all content to that and from there to the new 360 HDD. Mind though, it actually transfers, it doesn't copy, so it will remove all data from teh old HDD.

And one other piece of advice, I did the same thing for a friend of mine and he had some trouble with his gamertag. It transfered fine, seemed to work ok, but he ended up getting some achievement errors (on the extreme track achievement in Trials no less, that was painful ). He had to delete the tag and then recover it, so I would recommend not tranfering the gamerprofile but simply recovering that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                Actually you can use the transfer option when you're in the memory settings to transfer all saves, even ones that you can't copy. I recently got a new 360 HDD and I just made a 16GB partition on an external usb HDD and transfered all content to that and from there to the new 360 HDD. Mind though, it actually transfers, it doesn't copy, so it will remove all data from teh old HDD.

And one other piece of advice, I did the same thing for a friend of mine and he had some trouble with his gamertag. It transfered fine, seemed to work ok, but he ended up getting some achievement errors (on the extreme track achievement in Trials no less, that was painful ). He had to delete the tag and then recover it, so I would recommend not tranfering the gamerprofile but simply recovering that.
                I've actually just completed transferring everything and it was remarkably pain free. All that seems to be lost was some unmoveable saves and some xbla records, none of which I care about. I just wanted all my xbla games and points plus my profile which seem to be intact.

Thanks for the help folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                  Actually you can use the transfer option when you're in the memory settings to transfer all saves, even ones that you can't copy.
                  Thanks for the information. Managed to copy my Viva Pinata save, although annoyingly it doesn't move Xbox 1 saves.

Comment

Working...
                  X