Anyone here have the KEF KHT speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here have the KEF KHT speakers?

Been looking at these but see they use some sort of binding post jobbie on the backs of the speakers.

Anyone know if these can be de-bunged so they'll accept banana plugs?

Or, I know a few people have them here, can someone take a quick pic of the connections at the back of the satellite speakers please

Comment

I used to have the original set of 2005 'eggs' and it was possible to remove the plastic caps and fit banana plugs. They've been upgraded since then, so I can't state 100% if the current versions are the same.

Comment

I managed to find this pic online - do they look the same as yours?

Also, how did you find the sound quality? Thinking of getting them as I need a smaller set of speakers for my gaming room.

Comment

Yes, they look the same. The red and black covers 'pop' off, although I had to use a scalpel as they are fixed on quite well.

Sound quality wise - it's difficult to say. Regardless of what anyone says, there is a massive compromise with satellite speakers over full size or even book shelf speakers, but like many there is no way the Mrs would allow a full size set up in our Victorian lounge (tbh, I'm not sue I'd want them either).

At the time, I found the KEF's okay for cinema but pretty naff for music. The basic sub that came with the first set was pretty rubbish and gave a loud thump rather than a warm bass sound, so I replaced it a year later (but I understand the sub is better now with the eggs) and that made a big improvement to cinema.

I eventually replaced them when my little girl split a drink over my amp and caused a massive short circuit that blew the speakers. Armed with insurance money, I replaced them with a set of Monitor Audios that although more expensive, were night and day in comparison and handle audio really well with a beautiful warm sound.

Comment

I use some kef eggs for my rears and don't really rate them. Compared to the front speakers they sound rather tinny and without oomph (not an experienced audiophile ). They're certainly not bad, but as Brats said you are compromising in going tiny.

Comment

I've gone through several speaker setups and can confirm that even the (supposedly) best satellites are nowhere near as good as average bookshelf sized speakers.

Physically, it is impossible for a <10cm diaphragm to drive air to the range of levels as a equivilently sensitive larger diaphragm.

Comment

Working...
              X