Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saurian
    For real - Guilty Gear XX illustrates Tokuda's point precisely

The cancels in that game are so fast you couldnt possibly perform them on a stick with too much travel, it'll be too slow. On games like this the commands are performed so quickly during cancel combos you find you only use the centre of the travel range.
    Totally.

Not only that, but for almost any Japanese fighter. Think about the swift movements required in Virtua Fighter Evo or Soul Cali in certain situations. A player with a stiffer stick is a disabled player.

Comment

Maybe I'm not expressing myself properly Tokuda, what I mean is you make the bottom of the joystick that contacts the microswitches bigger so it requires less movement to move left, right etc. I find the DC stick takes too long to go left etc and cos I'm used to pads I didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plow King
        I guess I'm just too used to the instant respone of pads for past fighting games. I did try to use the DC stick Tokuda but it was too much travel for me to pull out the moves quick enough. Thats why I wanted a shorter travel version.
        See what you mean.

However games like SC were always made to play in the arcade. If you want challenges, you`d be severely screwed if you weren`t used to the sticks.

I think its just (I know it takes a fair bit of practice) a case of learning to be really rapid with how you use the sticks. Starting off anew and an unlearning, if it were, of the way you pull off moves with the pad.

Failing that, you could try picking up the special fighter pads for the PS or DC (the DC ones are harder to find).

Comment

Jesus, that was the fastest response I've ever seen lol.

You are right in that I should just use a standard stick but I'm lazeh and have no competition up here
          Might order an xbox Hori stick off you once some mug.. er nice person buys one first and posts about it here

Comment

Originally posted by Plow King
            Jesus, that was the fastest response I've ever seen lol.

You are right in that I should just use a standard stick but I'm lazeh and have no competition up here
            Might order an xbox Hori stick off you once some mug.. er nice person buys one first and posts about it here
            I sympathise with your lack of competition predicament. This is a major problem with the UK gaming scene in general I feel (unless you live near Saurian 8) ).

I would honestly die if I felt it was only me playing games, as I live off skill/technique games- the sort of games that are driven by competition and/or an arcade scene.

Comment

Yeah sucks. I wish they had made SC2 Live compatible..

Comment

I recently bought a psone Namco arcade stick(dark grey base/yellow ball and buttons) but I'm finding the switch over from pads to be a mixed bag.

There's still too much distance needed to active the switches for my liking. That combined with the fact that it's a square gate means I'm having to go near to or hit the gate when activating moves, which means in for example a double fireball motion i sometimes find myself catching against the bottom corner halfway through the first fireball motion, effectively screwing up any consistency and confidence in pulling off lightning fast moves.

I noticed by accident that when I pulled the joystick up from the base vertically, for a short while it needs even less movement to activate the switches, but it only lasts for like a few seconds until I guess the spring resets itself. Is this what your modifying of the spring has done for you Saurian?

Also, has anyone tried the ascii ft2 sticks? as ascii sticks have an octagonal gate rather than square, I was hoping this might alleviate my problem of getting caught in the corners as I do with Hori sticks.

Comment

Well said Thurrabred that's my problem too. With regards to the square gate is it anything like this one from a US Happ Competition joystick?

The US players swear by these sticks for super accurate response. I can't remember if the jap ones are similar or not?

Comment

I believe that's the same type of gate setup yes, although I cannot be sure as I haven't opened up my stick to look. I'm just going off of the feel of the maximum motion of the stick around the perimeter.

I just have a hunch that the less severe octagonal gate may be more fitting for my style of joystick movement.

Comment

This is what the Namco grey/yellow stick looks like inside.

(not my picture btw)

Comment

I saw a post on the IGN Xbox General boards a few days ago.

I believe it was concerning the Fighter EX stick mentioned in this thread but they also had a link to a magic-box type adaptor that had two memory card slots specifically for permitting Xbox LIVE headset usage.

I will try and dig it up and link it here but it looked excellent.

Comment

Ok its not the Fighter EX, its for a MASS systems joystick but it looks like the Xbox adaptor is completely separate which could be handy for those using the magic-box method at the moment.

Comment

That page is for IGN insiders only

Comment

Sorry to bump this one up but Tokuda's only just pointed it out to me because I pointed out that his XB SC2 review failed to mention X-Arcade. Yeh, I see what you mean, with the fingers/button config thing now. Few quick questions though. I really really really (I mean REALLY) hate the PS Namco stick (black/yellow) because the stick travels far to far for my liking. Also, With the DC sticks, because it is, yes, a square gate underneath, catching yourself in the corners is an occasional bastard when you're doing circular motions. Is there any better config than this? I take it on board that the square gate DC style config is standard because of course MegaLo and similar cabaret versions of the machine are absolutely everywhere in Japan and are prevalent throughout the world too, but isn't it time they redesigned to a slightly more circular e.g. possibly an octagonal gate and introduce it as standard as it presents a more even distance to each of the 8 directions and also promotes rolled moves? I think this would be better for arcades and sticks in general. Any thoughts?
                              Also, ARE there any octagonal-gated sticks available, should I fancy making my own or shoving an o-g stick in my DC ones?

Comment

Has anybody here actually got the Xbox Hori Fighter EX stick as I really want one and would like to know where you got it from.

Comment

Working...
                                X