X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 RGB Troubles

Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a UK PAL PS2 system (modified of course ) and have been meaning to get a suitable RGB cable.

First off before I read nice FAQ here at ntsc-UK, I came across this product

only to find that it gave me the same quality picture as my composite lead on my Sony Triniton. I switched SCART sockets at the back of the TV but in one I got a B/W picture in the other (as I mentioned before) I got a color composite-quality picture (bizzarely in simulated widescreen ratio).

I then realised on the FAQ it said that a SCART with a composite block is not an RGB lead. So in other words the cable that I brought is not an RGB cable for PS2 but a composite scart?

That makes sense but I'm worried I might make the same mistake twice. Is the following a 'true' PS2 RGB cable?:

Sorry to sound a little ignorant but its the red and white leads next to the scart that bother me. Obviously they are for audio but I thought the scart plug itself should contain the audio pins. I can't seem to find a straight foward SCART RGB scart lead (not even from my local stores)...

Thanks in advance and sorry for coming off a little paranoid

Originally posted by OptimusPrime
    I then realised on the FAQ it said that a SCART with a composite block is not an RGB lead. So in other words the cable that I brought is not an RGB cable for PS2 but a composite scart?
    Does sound like it.

Places like HMV and Virgin sell the Blaze RGB PS2 scart cable, it's actually labelled 'RGB'. Just make sure the next PS2 cable you get has RGB written on it somewhere.

Comment

Not all PS2 RGB leads are RGB. All the PS2 RGB leads at my local shop turned out to be composite, even though they had RGB on the packaging. It was only after spending forty minutes of my dinnertime there, that they went into the back room and got me a different (Blaze) lead which actually was RGB.

I've always found Blaze leads to do what they are meant to, make sure you check that the lead you have is RGB by playing a DVD - if it's a green image you've got yourself an RGB lead. If you've made sure the lead is switched to RGB and all and you don't get a green image from DVDs, you've got a dud.

Comment

Originally posted by superkully
        Not all PS2 RGB leads are RGB. All the PS2 RGB leads at my local shop turned out to be composite, even though they had RGB on the packaging. It was only after spending forty minutes of my dinnertime there, that they went into the back room and got me a different (Blaze) lead which actually was RGB.

I've always found Blaze leads to do what they are meant to, make sure you check that the lead you have is RGB by playing a DVD - if it's a green image you've got yourself an RGB lead. If you've made sure the lead is switched to RGB and all and you don't get a green image from DVDs, you've got a dud.
        Unless you find that the cable has a green screen switch on it.

....But that's another story.

Comment

Are you talking about the RGB switch on the cable I was talking about

If you've made sure the lead is switched to RGB and ...
          which is sometimes labelled "game/dvd" with game for RGB and dvd for composite?

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
            Does sound like it.

Places like HMV and Virgin sell the Blaze RGB PS2 scart cable, it's actually labelled 'RGB'. Just make sure the next PS2 cable you get has RGB written on it somewhere.
            thats just the problem, some cables have RGB marked on the box but turn out to be composite scarts. This is the case with the one I have now. Goblin (the import store) is also selling an 'RGB' cable with a suspicious looking composite block in the middle.

BUT just as long as there is no phono input block in the middle of the wire, then I can feel safe that its an RGB lead right? I think I'll go get that Blaze RGB lead then.

Cheers for the help everyone.

Comment

buy the blaze one or if you can find the offical scart lead get that one.

Comment

thats just the problem, some cables have RGB marked on the box but turn out to be composite scarts. This is the case with the one I have now. Goblin (the import store) is also selling an 'RGB' cable with a suspicious looking composite block in the middle.
                I think I might have this cable. It outputs RGB - the block in the middle is just so you can take the composite and audio signals somewhere else if you feel so inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                  buy the blaze one or if you can find the offical scart lead get that one.
                  The Blaze Ultimate Scart lead is good. This works with all PS2's chipped or not.

The Official RGB is horribly expensive and is incompatible with some modded NTSC machines in my experience. (the 'force ntsc colour mod' is the problem)

Blaze Cable - ?9.99 - www.gameplay.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by seibu
                    I think I might have this cable. It outputs RGB - the block in the middle is just so you can take the composite and audio signals somewhere else if you feel so inclined.
                    on the other TV I tried I got a B/W picture which I've never experianced with any of my other consoles. I think I'll sell this one first and then go buy the blaze cable.

Comment

thanks for that link, I've just gone and ordered the Blaze cable (10.98 inc. shipping). i'll post the results here, namely if I'm finally getting a nice RGB picture or not.

lets be clear; dot crawl and colour bleed are composite phenomenon? so I should be getting abseloutely none of this happening on an RGB picture, right?

little question: on my older Panasonic TV, I there is no support for NTSC input but PAL-60 works. Will a true RGB cable outputting a signal from a Japanese import produce a color picture on this TV?

Comment

If your TV can do 60Hz and can display an RGB picture you should have no problems with an import machine. (using rgb cable)

Comment

Originally posted by yashiro
                          If your TV can do 60Hz and can display an RGB picture you should have no problems with an import machine. (using rgb cable)
                          very true as I've just found out with the Blaze Ultimate Scart (got it from gameplay, good service).

Now this cable finally gives true RGB and it looks amazing. Its been years since I've actually played a console in RGB.

Just played DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou (in TATE) and Maximo Vs Army Of Zin. Excellent, vibrant, super crystal clear Japanese import gaming goodness

Comment

Working...
                          X