NES "stereo" sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NES "stereo" sound

As NES owners probably know, the system only has mono sound (red plug). I was wondering if it's possible to get at least sound out of two speakers. Are there Y-cables or something for that? I'm aware that the sound will remain mono, but it's a lot better when it comes from the left and right speaker heh

Yeah all you need is a Phono to Phono Y-Lead, available from any decent hi-fi or av store.

If you want pseudo stereo... then all you need are two graphic equalisers feed the audio input from the Y cable into them and change the equalisers so the first one is full up, full down, full up, etc and the other is full down, full up, full down, etc... then you'll get an effect that sounds like Stereo.

Comment

Hmmm, guess I should look better then... cause I've been to a few electro stores, but they didn't have such a cable and were in doubt if they existed...

Comment

Originally posted by MD
        Yeah all you need is a Phono to Phono Y-Lead, available from any decent hi-fi or av store.
        What's a decent av store then? Went to one again yesterday and they kept telling me such cables don't exist!
        There's another store I have in my head, but if that one doesn't have a clue either then I don't know what to do...

Comment

What's a decent av store then? Went to one again yesterday and they kept telling me such cables don't exist!

Nope course it doesn't exist, figment of my imagination...

Decent one is one that knows a phono y cable or splitter, look Maplin sell two...

The first allows you to use your own stereo phono cables

cat num : NZ46A

The second is a 2.5m cable... (should be long enough...)

Cat num : TB58N

Comment

I wasn't implying that I didn't believe you

It just bugs me that all those stores don't seem to know anything!
            They even told me that there's no quality difference when using an A/V block on a s-video cable to connect it to a SCART socket, while I later found out it transfers the signal to composite ft:
            It's really annoying they don't know what they're talking about (and act like they do know everything).

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_Zero
              I wasn't implying that I didn't believe you It just bugs me that all those stores don't seem to know anything!
              Well if they did they wouldn't be working in a store like that...

They even told me that there's no quality difference when using an A/V block on a s-video cable to connect it to a SCART socket, while I later found out it transfers the signal to composite ft:
              Not quite true, SCART can accept S-Video and those blocks allow you to use standard 4 pin mini din S-Video cables.

However twisting the Chromance and Lumiance signals together makes (unbalanced) Composite video and some blocks do do this...

It's really annoying they don't know what they're talking about (and act like they do know everything).
              Indeed. Print it out and show them that picture... then ask the same question. Bet they find one...

Comment

Originally posted by MD
                Not quite true, SCART can accept S-Video and those blocks allow you to use standard 4 pin mini din S-Video cables.

However twisting the Chromance and Lumiance signals together makes (unbalanced) Composite video and some blocks do do this...
                I know SCART supports s-video, but someone told me those AV blocks just transform the signal to composite. In order to get true s-video on a SCART socket you needed a specific s-video to SCART cable.

Well, now I don't know what info is true

Comment

The SCART blocks don't convert them (although there are ones that do but they are normally sold as S-Video > Composite convertors). Decent switched ones will put S-Video through the block. If you use them on TVs without s-video then you'll get a B&W picture, else if its a convertor block a poor composite signal..

Comment

Working...
                  X