Original Xbox DVD drive failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Xbox DVD drive failure

I suppose it had to happen but yesterday I had my first ever console failure - not a XB360 but an original Xbox (Crystal v.1.6).

I bought it from CEX about 9 months ago and has been used primarily as a softmodding test bed. I've run a few games on it but seriously I've not given the DVD drive that much use at all. The only thing wrong with it was tray drawer problems (discussed on earlier threads here) which were eventually sorted.

Quite out the blue the DVD drive now isn't spinning the discs. The console simply reports the disc drawer as empty. You can hear three whirrs just after the tray drawer closes and that's it. The drive motor sounds as if it's not engaging, like something is stuck.

I thought it might be the drive belt slipping so, even though new, I gave it the hot-water treatment. Still no dice.

Any suggestions/recommendations about how I could fix it?
    Last edited by fallenangle; 30-09-2010, 17:53.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
    I suppose it had to happen but yesterday I had my first ever console failure - not a XB360 but an original Xbox (Crystal v.1.6).

I bought it from CEX about 9 months ago and has been used primarily as a softmodding test bed. I've run a few games on it but seriously I've not given the DVD drive that much use at all. The only thing wrong with it was tray drawer problems (discussed on earlier threads here) which were eventually sorted.

Quite out the blue the DVD drive now isn't spinning the discs. The console simply reports the disc drawer as empty. You can hear three whirrs just after the tray drawer closes and that's it. The drive motor sounds as if it's not engaging, like something is stuck.

I thought it might be the drive belt slipping so, even though new, I gave it the hot-water treatment. Still no dice.

Any suggestions/recommendations about how I could fix it?
    Apart from anything else CEX give you a 12 month warranty! So if you didn't open the console up you could just replace the original dash & return it

Alternatively just get another one from them and switch the cd unit over?

Comment

Thanks for the reply but yes, of course I considered that but I bought it online and although I do have a fairly local CEX, as I understand it the Xbox would have to be returned whence it came.

That's going to cost me ?7+ and, not that I care, CEX twice that to send me a replacement which when added to their original costs is about the same as I paid them to begin with. Only the Royal Mail will get richer.

Just getting in contact with them is an utter pain - I had to wait over a six weeks for the original delivery (they specify "up to 28 days") and I didn't get a reply to any of my e-mails enquiries until just before it arrived.

What I might try is to do a deal with them either for a compensatory voucher or, what I'd really like, a replacement DVD drive from a canabalised Xbox.

Does anyone have any experience with CEX to know whether they'd be willing to do this sort of thing? Without seeing the faulty console they'd only have my word that it is stuffed but I'd be hoping that they'd see I wouldn't be asking for a replacement DVD drive unless I was telling the truth.

Guess I can only try and see.

P.S. I tried and they didn't bite. I've just checked the postage (4kg) and the cheapest method is ?7 and the service they recommend that I use is just shy of ?9! That's excluding the cost of the packaging too.

When they're selling Xboxes for ?18 inc. p&p after paying ?5 for the thing in the first place that means they're making around ?5/Xbox profit. If I send it back any repair or replacement would leave them considerably out of pocket.

It obviously makes no financial sense so, unless they're business idiots, they simply won't bother. They'll just issue a voucher or reimburse me which is their right to do. Cost to them: their purchase price for the console and maybe almost nothing as they'll be able to replace the DVD drive easily and resell. But me >?10 down and no Xbox

It just isn't worth it and that's very annoying.
      Last edited by fallenangle; 01-10-2010, 18:08.

Comment

Working...
      X