Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G connecting through pc

Hey all,

Having just moved house i'm out of my talktalk Internet for about 2 weeks, so i've hooked up my mobile phone to my pc and have been using the 3G connection, the first day it worked like a charm, I even managed to share the connection through to my 360 and have some suprisingly good games on Halo Reach.

Day 2 it all wen't very poor though, it would say it was connected but rarely would actually provide and Internet connection, it would take dissconnecting and reconnecting dozens of times before it got a proper connection, then it would just keep cutting out after 30 seconds to a few minutes.

I noticed the weather on Day 2 was very overcast, no clear sky at all, would this cause such a bad drop in performance? i'm not sure if this is just the way 3G is, whether its all weather related or maybe network congestion i'm not sure, something feels like i'm doing something wrong with the setup.

I always seem to have around 3-4 bars signals strength and the 3G icon is always showing on the phone so i'm slightly baffled by it.

I've also ordered a 1 month 3G dongle which should come in a day or two, hopefully it works a bit more consistenly, though I noticed you can buy aerial boosters for them, has anyone tried using one and did it make much of a difference?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Wedge, from my experience using 3g via a phone is only really good for surfing the web and getting email. But with a dongle you should have much better results. I think its down to the mobiles arials not being as strong as a dongle, I could be wrong though!

I know sombody who plays FF11 via a 3g dongle and has no problems what so ever, infact I think i DC more than him!

Comment

Thanks DJ, that sounds promising then.

I did get on FFXIV for about 15 minutes last night but kept getting R0's then eventually lost connection, will have to see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
      X