sound card causing log off/shut down problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound card causing log off/shut down problems

Experiencing log off & shut down problems - windows XP .

More commonly occurs when switching user, but also when only one account is open. Coincided with windows sounds (e.g., log on/off) sounding distorted/cutting in & out. Audio otherwise fine (e.g., if steaming music, etc.).

Have tried:

- system file checker
    - reg checker
    - hot fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328934
    - Removing majority of software addons
    - removing & reinstalling sound card drivers

etc.

Only thing that works is uninstalling video card drivers. No problems at all then???

I'm using an X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series.

Any suggestions?

Wonder if it's a sound card problem? If anyone has a cheap card, I'd be intersted in purchasing. No gaming, just use the pc to listen to the odd cd and internet radio.

Thanks

Sounds like it's a problem with Creative's driver software:

Their driver support is still as bad as ever it seems, they really do have a bunch of monkeys working in that department. Shame that their main competitor in the discrete card market (Asus) does just as piss poor a job... great hardware ruined by useless software devs. The only vendor I've seen that produces decent audio driver software is Realtek, and their chips are only found integrated onto motherboards.

Comment

lol, that explains a lot.

Have gone from bad to worse today.

Uninstalled drivers and did an XP repair.

Then windows updates started failing. Some freezing folowed, and now have a root\system32\ntoskernl.exe error....wtf

Comment

It's universally crappy sound drivers that caused MS to completely change the way sound is handled in Vista/7.

Bascially puts a software layer between the drivers and the OS so that rubbish drivers won't cause blue screens (believe sound drivers were 2nd behind gfx card drivers in causing crashes)

Comment

Working...
        X