borked n64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

borked n64

I took a load of my old consoles out of storage and everything works except the N64. It's the one I thought least likely to die, they're usually indestructable.

Anyway, it's an RGB modded US N64. When I turn it on I get sound and a very dark black and white picture. It's not the RBG cable as that works on my gamecube. I tried with a composite cable and get sound but no picture at all. Could it be a simple thing like a soldered wire from the mod coming loose? I'd have thought it that were the case there would be no picture at all though....

Cheers.

Part of the mod coming loose sounds like the most obvious thing, especially if you have sound but no picture.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
      I took a load of my old consoles out of storage and everything works except the N64. It's the one I thought least likely to die, they're usually indestructable.

Anyway, it's an RGB modded US N64. When I turn it on I get sound and a very dark black and white picture. It's not the RBG cable as that works on my gamecube. I tried with a composite cable and get sound but no picture at all. Could it be a simple thing like a soldered wire from the mod coming loose? I'd have thought it that were the case there would be no picture at all though....

Cheers.
      I made a RGB lead for my Spectrum +2 the other day and I had a very dark b&w picture too.. in the end the fault was that the blanking signal wasn't connected to the scart, now i'm not saying it could be that (and as you've allready said it's not the lead) but perhaps the wire on the mod that provides the volts to the scart for the blanking signal has come off??

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it must be a wire that's come loose somewhere inside. The trouble is I no longer have a gamebit screw driver to open the thing so I won't be able to fix it anytime soon.

Comment

I can lend it to you. Send me your details.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            I can lend it to you. Send me your details.
            Thanks for the very kind offer but I no longer have a soldering iron and I don't think I can use super glue. Not much point in opening it up then.

Comment

I'll take it off your hands price dependant, if ya like.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                I'll take it off your hands price dependant, if ya like.
                I'm gonna hang onto it for now as I'll be able to get a mate to fix it. Plus I've still got a big box of N64 games that I'd like to play. You'll be first to know if I decide to flog it.

Comment

Working...
                X