Modded PS2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modded PS2's

I haven't really touched my PS2 for a long time as my sister had borrowed it a couple of years ago.

anyway, I really fancied playing on it again so went to get get it. Got it home and it doesn't display any video. The game boots and you can hear sound but there is no video. Im using a component cable and the (fat) PS2 is modded with some kind of infinity clone. I'll see about trying another cable, but it doesn't display anything at all so is suspect its the PS2.

I have a couple of questions.

1) is this a common fault?
    2) if so, how is it remedied? and can anyone recommend somewhere to get it fixed?

The other option is to get a replacement PS2 from Ebay, but this won't be able to play all the import games i've got so:
    1) Whats the status with Mod chips on a Slim console?
    2) any recomendations?

It's most likely that the PS2 is set to RGB and for this reason the component cable is unable to display anything. You can hear sound so I assume I'm correct. If you plug in your PS2 with a composite cable and change the video mode in the system config menu from RGB to YPbPr (component) it will display fine.

Nothing seems to be wrong.

Comment

Did it work fine via component in the past?

Some modchips are configured with an RGB fix for DVD playback, but as a side effect it interferes with the component output. That might be your problem.

Its possible the chip has a config menu where the green screen fix can be disabled. Try pressing Triangle & Circle.

Comment

cheers Lads,

Yeah, it worked fine via Component before. I'll grab another cable and see if that fixes it. usually never that simple when I have problems though lol

Comment

Will a PS3 RGB scart cable work? I seem to recall they are all the same connector?

Comment

Correct, same port.

Comment

You can use one of the component leads - blue I think - in the composite socket to see an image suitable for getting into the menu as an emergency

Comment

That's good to know.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, id totally forgotten about that setting. Anyway i found the RGB scart cable and voila, picture. Changed the setting and roberts your mothers brother.

Only problem is my Import enabling Chip has ceased to function, so only PAL games will play and I have a load of NTSC games I wanted to play like GT4.

So now comes the hunt for someone with a soldering iron to replace it... sigh...

Comment

Are you sure that all your NTSC games aren't working?

If its just GT4 then its because its a dual layer DVD9 disc which some modchips don't boot. Try a single layer based game (will only have 1x barcode on the underside of the disc)

Comment

Yeah, it worked fine before mate.

Comment

Working...
                      X