Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s-video on N64

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me, I pulled out my PAL N64 the other day, I want to get it running with a good quality lead, I have a SCART lead and an S-Video lead but neither of them work. I think I imported them years ago and they wouldn't work with my PAL N64.

There's a S-Video lead being sold here pretty cheap and they're UK based, does anyone know for sure if S-Video works with PAL machines? In which case there must be different leads for the US and the UK.

Or anyone got any suggestions where I can buy a lead assuming S-Video is a good choice for PAL. Currently I can only output a signal on RF so it doesn't get much worse for quality

Appreciate any help.

When you say Scart i'm guessing you have a composite lead plugged into 21pin 'scart' adapter and not a RGB Scart lead? Do the yellow, white and red phonos plug into it? If so i think all region composite leads are the same, as i've several leads from different regions and i've never had a problem of no output.

S-Video is your best bet on a Pal system. Unless yours can be RGB modded, but thats a whole other kettle of fish lol

Comment

Hi, thanks for replying.

The one lead has a N64 connector one end and a Scart connector at the other; the other lead has a N64 connector one end and both an S-Video connector and Composite Yellow, Red and White Phono plugs at the other.

The lead with the Scart connector gives me no signal at all, I probably imported an RGB lead knowing me, but didn't know at the time it wouldn't work on a PAL machine. You can't RGB mod the PAL N64's to the best of my knowledge. The lead with the choice between S-Video and Composite outputs a bleached out signal whichever connector I choose.

I would have expected the composite connectors to work irrespective of region but I guess the fact that they're somehow part of a dual S-Video lead means they're somehow wired for NTSC machines.

Comment

The RGB mod can be done on any N64, although it's easiest with an early French machine, I believe. The trick with newer machines is to install an RGB-supporting chip. You will probably need to contact an expert for such a service.

I seem to recall someone saying that S-video leads from different regions can cause issues; not sure if it was the N64, though.

Comment

I'm not going to go as far as the RGB mod, it would be nice but its not essential, I modded other consoles and I don't want to get into it again, an S-Video lead will be fine if it works, guess I'll have to ask the retailer direct if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
            The RGB mod can be done on any N64, although it's easiest with an early French machine, I believe. The trick with newer machines is to install an RGB-supporting chip. You will probably need to contact an expert for such a service.

I seem to recall someone saying that S-video leads from different regions can cause issues; not sure if it was the N64, though.
            Ya can't RGB mod PAL consoles, unless it's the Frenchie one.

Comment

Yeah... I was unaware you could RGB mod any PAL machine except some of the French ones. And even that was a recent piece of knowledge to me, before then I thought no PAL N64 could have RGB.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                Ya can't RGB mod PAL consoles, unless it's the Frenchie one.
                Not out of the box, but if you have a Nintendo video chip it can be installed in any N64 for RGB support. Chaotic Jelly has done it in the past.

Comment

Well sure, but I bet that'd cost more than an NTSC console.

Comment

Well I just ordered the S-Video cable from the link I posted. It was cheap and I'm sure it will work, someone posted a review to the site saying it worked with their PAL SNES.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
                      Yep, S-video doesn’t work on PAL 64’s unless you have a launch model. When I tried S-video the picture was far too bright and tinkering with the tv settings didn't solve the problem - I ended up emailing Nintendo about the issue and received a surprisingly insightful reply.
                      Last edited by Kit; 14-11-2010, 16:15.

Comment

Working...
                      X