No announcement yet.

Sony Trinitron KV-14T1U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I took the back off the set last night and straight away could see the solder had cracked where the SCART socket was on the board.

A quick reflow later and I have beautiful RGB.

Just gotta find the damn remote for it now.

Comment

I have lost the remote for mine too. Annoying.
      But you can do everything through the front buttons at least.

Comment

Can anybody share some light on this problem I got, especially users who have this TV and share their knowledge by any chance.

I just picked up one of these as an extra TV for RGB gaming on my old consoles and found the service mode code to adjust the picture, as when a RGB picture is displayed, the left-side is off and produces a black vertical border. To do this, a PAL signal is needed as the values cannot be adjusted if a NTSC signal is displayed. I found this out when I booted up a US/NTSC PS1 game on my modded PAL PS1 console, so I just booted the console with no game in.

Now here is the weird part i'm confused on, because I can only seem to get my PS1 console to work, as when I try my PAL PS2 using the same Scart connector for my PS1, I can get a picture but no sound. This also applies to my Sega Saturn using a Scart connection, picture but no sound. Tried different cables and all give the same results on the Sony TV, yet if I try them on my other TV's its fine, so I know its not an issue with my consoles or cables I'm using because they work fine.

I thought it may be an issue with the Scart connection on the TV but since only my PS1 gives a perfect picture and sound, I thought it cannot be that and confused to say the least, as i'm lost on what this could be???

Update: Just noticed now, that if I press the AV button on the either the TV or remote the picture go's back to the scrambled image, as they do normally but then immediately go's back to the selected AV with a picture.

Its like something is stuck forcing the channel to be selected on the AV because in normal circumstances, if the user presses the button, the TV will either stay on the scrambled image or the selected AV when there is a device connected.

I just cant see what the issue is, as when I use my PS1 via Scart its fine. Any other console, it refuses to have a solid image and sound.
        Last edited by krisk77; 15-01-2014, 14:44. Reason: update

Comment

Hi. I honestly don't really know what to suggest, unless it could be some issue in the service menu – although that seems unlikely. Sorry I can't be more help.

Comment

Hi there! first time poster.

I picked up a trinitron KV-14T1U for my PS2 but I can't make head nor tail of it without the manual. My google searching lead me here so I'm hoping you guys can help.

I have an RGB cable for my PS2 and I tested Tekken 5 in PAL 60hz.

I'm not sure which input source is doing this because I can't tell them apart, but on the KV14T1U at least one input gives me a rolling picture. I've found two buttons that control this stuff.

The first button is in the top right-hand corner (the arrow going into the cube/telly icon) it switches between the rolling picture and a black and white display. I assume this is the AV channel if it isnt showing colour.

But if I then go into the menu while the display is black and white and keep toggling the fourth value down (two arrows squeezing a dot, no idea what this does!) using the yellow and red buttons on the remote, I get excellent picture quality. It looks like RGB to me. But it goes back to B&W as soon as I stop toggling.

The second button I identified is next to the first button, on the left (a cube/telly with horizontal lines running through it). If i select that, it switches to a colour display. This would be fine except the picture quality is really poor compared to the first and it also flickers.

Is there a fix? Is my TV knackered? Which button does what and how do i know if i'm in RGB?

Thanks for reading and sorry if i've broken any rules by posting in an old thread.

Comment

How's the PS2 set up output wise from its system menu?

The first button you mention changes between the source input. Given there's only one Scart socket presumably, sounds like it's switching through perhaps composite, S-video and RGB types. The picture is rolling because that input is in a frequency maybe the TV can't handle. B/W picture means it can handle the signal frequency (50Hz most likely), but not the colour frequency. These Sony TVs do NOT support NTSC through Scart, only PAL, which will explain this situation (my 14" Sony Trinitron acts the same way). Using RGB input gets rids of the PAL/NTSC dilemma.

The second button you mention (screen with lines on it) was for Teletext when it was active.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Thanks for the reply mayhem, I think I knew my tv was on the fritz when you told me that second button was for teletext!

Turns out the SCART connection on my TV is a bit dodgy. It's fine now and the picture is beautiful (all my beat em ups look amazing!), but I worry that once I switch over to another console and use a different scart cable, I won't be able to get that picture quality back.

Is there such a thing as a SCART splitter that handles RGB? I could plug it in once and never have to worry about the socket on the TV going bad.

Is the SCART input on the back of this TV supposed to feel so flimsy? Its as though there is nothing behind it keeping the plastic in place.

Comment

The socket on the back of my Sony 14" is a bit dodgy too, but it's 20 years old, so I'll cut it some slack! But yeah, it can take a little fiddling and wiggling to get the picture correct when plugged in. There are many Scart splitters available, that will also support RGB. There used to be a popular one from Argos that cost a tenner and had three out sockets on it.
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Apt Pupil View Post
                    Thanks for the reply mayhem, I think I knew my tv was on the fritz when you told me that second button was for teletext!

Turns out the SCART connection on my TV is a bit dodgy. It's fine now and the picture is beautiful (all my beat em ups look amazing!), but I worry that once I switch over to another console and use a different scart cable, I won't be able to get that picture quality back.

Is there such a thing as a SCART splitter that handles RGB? I could plug it in once and never have to worry about the socket on the TV going bad.

Is the SCART input on the back of this TV supposed to feel so flimsy? Its as though there is nothing behind it keeping the plastic in place.
                    If your interested, I have an excellent vivanco splitter for sale - handles four RGB inputs in an then 1 out to your tv.

No signal interference, unlike cheap plastic units.

Comment

Sorry to hijack but I'd be interested in the splitter if apt isn't interested!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        If your interested, I have an excellent vivanco splitter for sale - handles four RGB inputs in an then 1 out to your tv.

No signal interference, unlike cheap plastic units.
                        Hi! Thanks for the offer! But I don't think I'm allowed to trade while I'm still a new member. I found this on eBay, but I don't suppose its the right one, is it (only 3 inputs)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vivanco-3x...p2054897.l4275

Comment

Originally posted by Apt Pupil View Post
                          Hi! Thanks for the offer! But I don't think I'm allowed to trade while I'm still a new member. I found this on eBay, but I don't suppose its the right one, is it (only 3 inputs)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vivanco-3x...p2054897.l4275
                          No , that unit gives interference, cheap and nasty. I am selling the sbx99

Comment

Sorry for raising this topic from the dead! I found a similar TV from a local thrift store, only it's the "continental" model KV14-T1D (living in Finland myself). It has an issue with the picture dimensions being distorted and picture being too much on the left, so that a bit gets left out on the left side. I googled with instructions and found this thread, but don't have a remote to go with it.

Do you guys think I can enter the service mode in the same way pictured here if I order a remote cheap from eBay even though it's not the exact same UK model?

Comment

I think you'd probably be okay yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrow View Post
                                Sorry for raising this topic from the dead! I found a similar TV from a local thrift store, only it's the "continental" model KV14-T1D (living in Finland myself). It has an issue with the picture dimensions being distorted and picture being too much on the left, so that a bit gets left out on the left side. I googled with instructions and found this thread, but don't have a remote to go with it.

Do you guys think I can enter the service mode in the same way pictured here if I order a remote cheap from eBay even though it's not the exact same UK model?
                                i have a few trinitrons (29"/14") and use the same remote. Some trintrions (may only be the larger sizes, have an image shift in the 'more detailed' part of the menu. That will shift the image left or right, which should solve your problem. Otherwise a quick trip into the service menu (geometry), should sort that out quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X